Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-27-2001, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Woods 6215 trans

Have a woods 6215 have transmission problems.....it would not turn the right side wheel. and when it did....boy that hurt my feelin's. opened it up and boy the shredded teeth. anyone ever had a similar problem or can you tell me why this happened. just over 300 hrs. 99 model. bought used put about 40-50 hrs on it myself.

If your really knowledgeable how do I get all the metal from the resevoir??? and the other side. or will the filters handle that if I drain and change the filters. thanks you guys and or girls are great.
Old 09-29-2001, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not familiar with the Woods. Does it have the eaton hydro assembly or does it have a separate pump and wheel motors? You can buy a line flushing machine at NAPA. It's mostly used for tranny lines. Buy the solvent for it also. The filter should be on the return line to the fluid tank. So the metal should be contained from the filter back to the wheel motor or transaxle. I still would flush the entire system on that side just to be sure. Flush the tank and changed the filter on the other side and that should do it.
Old 09-30-2001, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Woods

Is that a Woods Mowin' Machine ? Same as a Grasshopper ? If it is it has the Eaton hydro assembly in one. If you can rebuild it I hope that you tell us how it goes. I need to try and do something with my Hopper. Later, 22R
Old 09-30-2001, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

It is the same as the Hopper. it is at the mechanic's house now hope to pick it up tommorrow evening. he says it will run about 450.00 to rebuild, put the whole thing bak together and flush the system. excellent compared to 1019.00 to replace with a new one. and then I have to put it back together. will let you know how it goes.
Old 10-01-2001, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Let Me Know !!

I'd appreciate finding out what he does to it. Can you rebuild suscessfully the transmission ? How did he do it ? Thanks for the info. Later, 22R
Old 10-01-2001, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Eaton has a rebuilt exchange service on the hydro's. I show a Grasshopper eaton unit that I believe is the same as the woods for $650.00 brand new. The $450 is a good price for a mechanic to rebuild the final drive of that unit.
Old 10-02-2001, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Khouse --where is that from ?? The Eaton replacement

Do you have a web site or catalouge ? I may have to rebuild or replce mine soon. Later 22R
Old 10-02-2001, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

22R,
22R is a Toyota engine type. Do you drive a Toyota? I will e-mail you the web site for the tranny. Look in the yellow pages under hydraulic sales. Call them and ask if they sell Eaton products. If they do then give them your eaton # and see if that unit is under the rebuid and exchange program.
Old 10-04-2001, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, I got it back and everything seems fine. A little sceptical for somereason. but everyting seems to be doing good. Today will be it first hard day we'll C. I was talking with somone yesterday that could buy eaton hydros for around 250.00-300.00 but neither was comp with mine so I didn't really pay alot of att. I do believe they were remaned. If anyone intrested I'll C if I can' t find out more. Email me.

Oh the mechanic said that pivioting with the bagger puts alot of strain on the trans. If anone else has anything different ...........