Register free!

Old 10-24-2007, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

too late to seed???

Hey guys im in knoxville TN. Ive got a customer that just bought a new house (just built) so the lawn is crap and hardly any grass. He wants me to seed and straw the yard but is it already too late for this year? This would be a good $$ maker towards the end of the year that would be a big help but i dont want him to disappointed with the results.....what do ya think??
Old 10-25-2007, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think.....too late for permanent seed (this year)

I can't really speak for Knoxville weather here in Cincy, but I'd just spread it with annual rye for cover for now and tell him it's just temporary (which it is). This definately CAN still come up down there and hold the soil. But don't charge him too much for this! Then, next spring, you'll have time to work the soil and use a harley rake or something like that to do it right, with the right seed. Are you eventually planning to use bermuda?
Old 10-25-2007, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just seed it right away with KB or Fescue with maybe 10% rye, ground temps are at their peak still which is what matters. The rye will come of in a week or less and in 14-18 days the other will germ too. When the seed pops the roots will continue growth till ground freezes which is very important. Too many problems associated with sping seeding. In MD I am just starting my overseeds and have no doubt it will come up. Don't let air temp fool you, its all about soil temp.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

no i will not be using bermuda, it will be fescue
Old 10-25-2007, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

There you go, Big Country! Two different opinions from two different worlds. Spring seeding can be a bear too, yes. But seeding is always going to be a crap shoot, right? I'd just hate to see you throw your customer's money, and your reputation, away.