Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-25-2007, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Wheeled skid verse CTL

I have been watching a project going on at one of my jobs. They are replacing some utilities. The contractor rented a brandnew Cat skid steer on tires to move material around his Cat CTL is on another job.

The rubber tired machine is horrible its a typical skid steer on pavement the poor operator is bounced around. I asked him is your back sore he said yes

The CTL was on the same job doing the first part earlier this year it glided over the pavement smooth as can be. The operator on that machine wasn't thrown around the cab like a rag doll.

Even thou the parts on a CTL wear faster the CTL is more productive and the operator isn't bashed around in the operators seat. Even the contractor said the wheeled skid is horrible.

After watching a CTL operate and a wheeled skid operate in the same conditions (dry pavement) the CTL is worth every penny and extra maintenance.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

on dry pavement its worth it to train an operator on a wheeled machine so he doesn't get bounced around, we never take our takeuchi to jobs where there will be a lot of pavement work...the good old case 1840 goes to those jobs
Old 10-25-2007, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your better off leaving a CTL at home when working on pavement. It will wear one out quick and really no added advantage on pavement other than a little smoother. A wheel machine may be a little more bouncy but way cheaper to replace tires than tracks. Your better off if you can to put some dirt down and turn on it if you can. It works way better for both machines.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Case Ride control does wonders on pavement...no bouncing at all.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rat,have you run anything other than you're mouth in the last 2 years?????
Old 10-25-2007, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a new wheeled skid and put loegering vts on it.......so now we have tracks. Got only about 225 hrs on it in the last two months, I appreciate the smoothness of the ride. So far, the tracks are holding up well.......minor chunkage holes from going over rocks, a few slices ( again from rock shards) but all and all.........nice. Crab, as for your post........most inappropriate.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would call that impolite but not necessarily inappropriate
Old 10-26-2007, 03:09 AM
LawnSite Member

The guy running the skid is sore he goes home in pain every day. Even the other operator who has more experience hates the rubber tired skid. The skid is a brandnew machine the tires haven't been worn in. It is joystick controls I guess that takes time to get used to but their CTL is joystick control.

Even with a skim of dirt on the pavement doesn't help the skid to steer any better it still bounces around. They tried spilling some material on the ground to give the tires some slip. There is more black marks on the ground from the tires than there was from the CTL when they had it on site earlier in the year.

We were talking to a guy that does pavement grinding he said all he uses is CTL machines. He was curious to see what was going on.

The CTL moves around so nice and easy I think the extra wear and tear on the undercarriage is well worth it.

I have run old style bobcats with tires for 8 hours a day it felt like I was run over by a truck.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

relax its a joke,gravel rats posts are notoriously long and unresolved.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Digger2 View Post
on dry pavement its worth it to train an operator on a wheeled machine so he doesn't get bounced around, we never take our takeuchi to jobs where there will be a lot of pavement work...the good old case 1840 goes to those jobs

Same here except Deere for the CTL, and 1845C for the Case!

That guy is going to wear those tracks out quick. Get someone who knows how to run a skid. I don't find them bouncy on pavement. He's probably trying to go too fast.