Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-26-2007, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Member

1 acre of leaf removal

i did an estimate for a random customer, for a leaf removal job, the yard was covered in leaves but you could still see the grass ( so not super deep), the property was about an acre with several mulch beds ...... i estimated about 3 to 5 hours of work plus dump runs, with 3 workers, i gave an estimate of $500, is that reasonable ?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capetan View Post
i did an estimate for a random customer, for a leaf removal job, the yard was covered in leaves but you could still see the grass ( so not super deep), the property was about an acre with several mulch beds ...... i estimated about 3 to 5 hours of work plus dump runs, with 3 workers, i gave an estimate of $500, is that reasonable ?
Sounds too cheap to me. An average price per hour for leaves is 45.00/hr per guy. I dont give solid estimates for leaves, I tell them a ballpark figure and if they ask I tell them what we are per hour per guy but I also let them know we have the equipment to move it along quickly. BTW YES RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 10-26-2007, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

so you are figuring about 15 man hours when it's all said & done. You are way too cheap IMO. Better hope they don't go for it, or they tip well.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I bid one last year for 500 and it was an acre. After payout and dump, I made 10 bucks. I was pis.. not pleased. However I did however, talk them into letting me be their lawn care provider for this year. Total service 2500.00
Old 10-26-2007, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$500 bucks???

Man have you ever did an acre property full of leaves??? Let me know if ya make any money!! Hahahahahahahaha see ya George ,,, you'll learn by next year!!
Old 10-26-2007, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

sorry mis calculation its probably closer to 2/3's -3/4ths acre, not an acre ......
customer sent an email back to me "thats a lot more than i was planning on spending for leaf removal" ..... kinda glad i didnt get the job, thanks.....
it sounds like i should be estimating around $250 per 1/4 of acre (does this seem right)
Old 10-26-2007, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capetan View Post
sorry mis calculation its probably closer to 2/3's -3/4ths acre, not an acre ......
customer sent an email back to me "thats a lot more than i was planning on spending for leaf removal" ..... kinda glad i didnt get the job, thanks.....
it sounds like i should be estimating around $250 per 1/4 of acre (does this seem right)
it all depends on how thick the leaves are. you should base it on an hourly rate per man hour.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Capetan

dont worry about quarter acres or acres ! Just worry about man hours !Make sure you charge for every man on the job, per hour . that way you dont lose your ass!After a few years of leaf work an ya get the feel of things then ya might venture on pricing by the job!I have been in this business for 24 years an did huge amounts of leaf work, you can never determine how many leaves are on the ground or how long it will take especially if your working in landscaping beds, on hills, fenced in lots, wet or dry , etc. to many variables .So have fun an use every experience as a learning experience! thanks George
Old 10-31-2007, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

i found out that most people i give estimates to are kinda shaky on spending that much money for a cleanup. but when the jobs done 85% say put me on the schedule for next year. you tell them the price that you want to do it for
Old 10-31-2007, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Member

so for you guys that bill by the hour how do you do estimates ? or do you just tell the customer i charge __________ an hour