Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2000, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are Walkers ALL THAT? Would you say they have a finish cut better than an Exmark? I'm thinking of buying one with a 42"Mulching Deck/16 HP Kolher. At the present time I use a Toro WB. I'm looking at the Walker for the outfront deck as to make blade change and cleaning the deck easier. Anyone using this machine please respond as to help me make my choice for spring. Thanks for your input. Mowman
Old 02-17-2000, 06:04 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Can you afford a set steel car ramps?
Old 02-17-2000, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Walkers are awesome if you're bagging. If you're not, they're expensive as (*&@ and you can get more bang for your buck.
Old 02-17-2000, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have owned Walker mowers for almost 6 years now and I love them.Do they have a good cut?Yes,they do,I would not own them if they did not!Do they cut better that an Exmark?I can't tell you that becouse I have never owned an Exmark.My first Walker had a normal deck that did not flip up 90 degrees.That was a real pain crawling under the deck to change the blades.But my last 2 Walkers had all flip up decks and I love them.All you do is slide two bars and lift!The distributor even gave me a free professonal torque wrench to take the blades on and off.I sharpen my blades every day so those decks are great!I have never owned a mulching deck on my walker so I can't tell you anything about them.I see you will be looking into the 16hp,that is a good model.I must warn you,don't buy the 11hp with chain drive.That machine is to be used by home owners or places such as universities that are not cutting all the time, ect.It is not meant to be used day in and day out like we do.Our first Walker we bought was a used 11hp and was great mower but it is not meant to be worked by us guys.Actually we still have that machine it is a back up mower right now and probally will be traded in soon.You said ''are Walkers all that?''I would have to say YES!I own a 20hp Walker right now and I have put 500 hrs on it in its first year!With zero repairs to date.My next model will be the 24hp kabota gas.Its engine life expectancy is 4000 hrs!I think Walkers are very reliable,and think you would enjoy owning one.<p>P.S Walkers can not go 14mph like a dixie can,but for a couple of bucks you can get a speed-up kit that will have your walker going about 8mph.I also know how to get it going 14 mph but I have not tryed it yet!<p>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care<br>
Old 02-17-2000, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mowman,<p>I have been using a Walker MT 25hp for 3.5 yrs now. And I love it. Does everything. Bags, mulches, and just fun to drive. I use a 42&quot; mulch deck 85% of the time. About the only time I bag is early spring cleanup, and for fall cleanups. Most the grass I mow is St. Augustine and Centipede. And as long as the blades are sharp they both mulch real well. <p>Today I put on a set of gator blades on my deck. First time I have ever used them. Mowed a yard that was rye grass with some leaves. The blades mulched the grass an leaves with out balling up like damp rye normally does. Chopped the leaves fairly fine in one pass. With the cross blades I usually have to go over leaves twice. The yard looked real good, so am impressed with the Gator blades, and saved $30 to boot. Paid $16 a piece for the Gator blades and only need two, and pay $15 a piece for the crossed blades.(need 4) Now if I can find them for my 52&quot; deck.<p>If you get the machine that has lowprofile tires you have to be careful with the side walls. They are in line with the deck and take a while to get used to obstacles.<p>jim
Old 02-18-2000, 05:52 AM
LawnSite Member

ABlawncare, What is it that &quot;for a couple of bucks will speed it up&quot; Can you put something on an engine to make the transmission run faster????
Old 02-18-2000, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a Walker MTGHS 42&quot; and its my moneymaker. Tha Walker company is very dedicated to its product and the service from the company is second to none. I use the dethatcher in the spring. Collect clippings or discharge them out the back on large lawns. In the fall it does a great job of reducing and collecting leaves.<br>Problems I have had were with the 1998 Kohler 25HP which was frustrating but it wasn't Walkers fault. My customers love the cut and I would buy another one.
Old 02-18-2000, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Grassboy<p>It is a pulley you replace which increases you speed to 8mph.You can order it through the Walker Co.When I say a couple of bucks I mean $30(Canadian)which with our exchange rate probably is &quot;a couple of bucks&quot; in U.S dollars!<p>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 02-19-2000, 02:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if the Walkers held up<br>ok in hot dusty conditions and working<br>at &quot;full noise&quot; 12 hours staight.Walkers<br>have only recently been introduced over here.
Old 02-20-2000, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I often use my walker 12 hours stright in the hotest days of summer and I have never had 1 problem.Like I said before I have put 500hrs on it the first year and to date I have had know break-downs.<p>Lazer replied and said &quot;Walkers are awesome if you're bagging. If you're not, they're expensive as (*&@ and you can get more bang for your buck&quot;but I disagree I don't bag and my walker does alot of lawns.Yes I agree that walkers can not cut as much as a lazer-z or a dixie can.But what they lack in speed they make up for in versatility.If you do alot of spring and fall clean-ups than there is no faster machine on the market.If you use your mower for snow removal walkers are great.I do close to 60 drive-ways a day when it snows.Walkers have many deck sizes and styles.You can also use the following attachments:snow thrower, snow blower, 2 sweepers, blower, bed edger, snow blade, dethacther, aerator and more.Lazer is right if your cutting lawns all day long and don't do much spring and fall clean-ups than yes a lazer-z would be faster,but most of us have to do leaves and spring clean-ups and so on.Anyway that is just my opinion!<p>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care<p>