Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-27-2007, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

1st Year Inventory?

Well this is my first "real" year doing irrigation, I have replaced heads the past years but thats about it. Ive done several installs, along with some repair work (replacing valves, selenoids, clocks, leaks, etc. etc.) and blowouts.

My question is, how do you guys determine how much these parts are, so you can figure out how much $ in inventory is sitting at your shop (how mch per head, nozzle, elbow, etc). I organized everything really well today, however there are still parts I need to organize. I know this is not nearly as much as you pro's have, but for my first year I think its decent.

BTW: What are the Hunter PGJ's used for, I have a few but never installed one or serviced one yet?

My Spray Nozzles:
73 Quarters (8,10,12, and 15's)
74 Fulls (8,10,12,15, and adj's)
96 Halfs (8,10,12, and 15's)
44 (15CST, 15EST, 9&15SST)
120 Clear, Blue, Gray Filters.

Other:
90 1" Elbows
76 1" T's
80 1" Couplings
100 more fittings.
About 200 swing pipe fittings.
3 Extra Selinoids
6 Valves
a whole box of other parts I may need.

14 Hunter Sprays
3 PGJ's
4 PGP's
and what I hate most are 2 impact heads (I used to love them before I knew anything about sprinklers).
300ft 1" Pipe
80ft 3/4" Pipe
25ft soaker hose
400ft of swing pipe.
Roll of 250ft of 8 wire electrical line.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You are going to go crazy trying to keep track of each and every nozzle, filter, coupling, 90,45,T,bushing blah blah blah.

Keep track of the things that make you the most money on paper. Stock things you use all the time (those listed above) when you can see that you need them. Your trips to the Irr shoip should be buying a carton of whatever it is you are there for, not just the two you need for the job. I am still in therapy from my first ever Irrigation job, I itemized every.single.piece.of.anything.that.i.used for one system. It was the most painful thing I have ever done.

Charging for each piece is important when you use it, but tracking it is above and beyond. Youve got better things to do.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoskm01 View Post
You are going to go crazy trying to keep track of each and every nozzle, filter, coupling, 90,45,T,bushing blah blah blah.

Keep track of the things that make you the most money on paper. Stock things you use all the time (those listed above) when you can see that you need them. Your trips to the Irr shoip should be buying a carton of whatever it is you are there for, not just the two you need for the job. I am still in therapy from my first ever Irrigation job, I itemized every.single.piece.of.anything.that.i.used for one system. It was the most painful thing I have ever done.

Charging for each piece is important when you use it, but tracking it is above and beyond. Youve got better things to do.

words=taken right out of my mouth/fingers.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Okay thanks guys. I figured tracking it all would get old quick. So charge for the parts + service?

Thanks fellas!
Old 10-27-2007, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsDet View Post
Okay thanks guys. I figured tracking it all would get old quick. So charge for the parts + service?

Thanks fellas!

you time is better used drinking beer than wondering why you have 14 12' half fixed spray nozzles..

cheers
Old 10-27-2007, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Haha, thanks. How do you guys keep your trucks organized, ive seen a couple around here, and both companies about about 6-8 service trucks, and have special shelving made. Is there a company that makes these shelves in their vans, or do they fab them up? Thanks.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsDet View Post
Haha, thanks. How do you guys keep your trucks organized, ive seen a couple around here, and both companies about about 6-8 service trucks, and have special shelving made. Is there a company that makes these shelves in their vans, or do they fab them up? Thanks.
give me a few secs and ill post my trucks storage pics.

we subbed out the work to a guy who knows whats up..

As I'm sure everyone here will agree with me,Keep your house messy,Keep your back yard messy,keep your life in general a mess,BUT ALWAYS KEEP YOUR TRUCK ORGANIZED!!!!!!

pics = on the way
Old 10-28-2007, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Special shelves in truck for tools glue nozzles electrical, milk cartons for fittings valves and heads, tote trays for swing pipe fittings, 5 gallon buckets for toting around random fittings while doing new installs and repairs.

The list can go on and on. The best way to keep things orginized is have one place for everything.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The big purchases such as mowers and blowers and even trimmers are fairly easy, for everything else I guesstimate, might be over or under some but I do try and be accurate. In the end, I look to make sure the total $ of inventory acquired = the total expense $ (for the year), minus fuel and a few other things of course.

I do have a running total of all expenses by category, that helps.
My Visa Business card sends me this itemized and categorized statement at the end of the year, this helps even more.
Yes, ALL of my business expenses go on the credit card, I almost never pay cash or check.

Then I did my first year in a Text file, yup, plain and simple.
This Text file gets used now every year, simply updates it.
I usually take a day like in January and with a clipboard and pen and last year's text file on paper I go through my stuff, editing / adding / deleting as needed, then I re-do the computer file... The first year was the hardest, now if it takes me an hour.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
. In the end, I look to make sure the total $ of inventory acquired = the total expense $ (for the year), minus fuel and a few other things of course.
Why doesn't this make sense to me? Your inventory acquired will equal your COGS expense for the year I'm sure. I think you do maintenance. Whole different animal than irrigation.