Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-01-2000, 06:02 PM
Ron

I'm looking for a good solution to putting some sort of box or cage on the front of my trailer for storage. I'm really leaning towards an add-on box of some sort. Anyone have some suggestions? The trailer is open, and 6-1/2' wide.
Old 02-01-2000, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Member

RON, I HAVE A REGULAR TOOLBOX ON MY TRAILER LIKE GOES ON A TRUCK AND ALSO A CAGE MADE OF EXPANDED METAL BEHIND IT ON LEGS SO THE MOWERS WILL GO UNDER IT.IT HAS A LID WITH GAS SHOCKS TO LIFT IT UP.I KEEP A LOT OF HAND TOOLS IN IT,SHOVELS,RAKES,ETC.I ALSO PUT MY BLOWERS IN IT FOR SECURITY.<br>
Old 02-01-2000, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have one of those black plastic tool boxes(tuff box) bolted to the tongue of my 20' open trailer. I couldn't have done it on my 16' because the tongue is too short. It poses no problems with my swing radius unless I need get myself in a situation that I'm past 90deg. It holds all my edger blades, oil mix, motor oil, bar chain oil, spare blades, tools to remove blades, and anything else I can cram in there. The more I keep out of my truck, the better off I am. It measures 36&quot; long x 21&quot; wide x 18&quot; deep. Try one out, it may work for you.<p>Homer
Old 02-01-2000, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had mine built by the people who built my trailer. Any welding shop could make you one for probably under $200. Just get an exact measurement so they make the stands the correct size. Mine sits up off the side rails about 2 feet, this way you want lose any room at the front of the trailer. I think it is 18&quot;x18&quot;. It is made of angle iron with iron mesh on all six sides. Mine opens at the top, but a front opening box is easier to work with.
Old 02-15-2000, 07:43 PM
jeffclc

I put a gang box on the front of mine. A gang box is used on construction sites for storage of small tools and supplies. Mine is 4'x2'x2' I think. I bolted it to the floor, as I have plenty of deck space. My trailer is 6' wide, and I built a small cage next to it for gas cans.<p>If space gets tight on the floor of my trailer in the future, I will elevate it so that stuff can be parked under it. <p>The box works well, and is lockable so your stuff does not walk away. They can be pruchased at Home Depot starting at around $200.
Old 02-19-2000, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I've got a Rubbermaid dark gray chest type box on the front of my 20' trailer. I use a fuel tank(100 gal.) w/ electric pump instead of keeping track on cans, beside trimmer fuel cans.The tank is in the back of the truck so I can have the trailer space most of the time the other toolbox is behind it,it's a full bed w/ two toolboxs and a fuel tank.The rubbermaid only cost $130.00, the tank only cost 180.00 at a farm auction,had it painted to match the truck,it saves the extra time at the station.
Old 02-19-2000, 11:04 PM
Lawnsite Addict

GMC iI hope that your not hualing 100 gallons of gas in that tank, any tank over 35 gallons used for transport of gas must have placard and DOT number on it and a CDL also the tank must be DOT certified. Diesel fuel is different that gas, anything over 800 lbs then must be placarded and CDL.<p>----------<br>paul<br>
Old 02-19-2000, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Paul<p> Sorry don't know what state you are in. I was a farmer in North Dakota last year. Currently living in Washington state. In N.D. there are no laws requiring any permits/liscensing of fuel tanks in pickups. I had one 1/2 ton pickup with a 130 gallon diesel tank and 130 gallon gas tank in the box. Plus another 3/4 ton pickup with a 130 gallon diesel tank mounted in back. That was a very common setup in the area I was from.<br>In fact at auction I sold all but 1 of my service tanks. If memory serves correctly I sold the tanks for around $100 bucks each with electric pumps. Quite a loss on my end.
Old 02-19-2000, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

From maryland here, I dont know all of the laws, but i beleive here anything over 4 gallons in your truck must be reported in some way. Check your local laws!!!!
Old 02-20-2000, 02:09 AM
Lawnsite Addict

There are exemptions for farmers on transfer tanks,but check with your DOT on gas it's classed as an explosive and most states if not all follow federal regs. on tranportation of bulk fuel. We use a 30 gal tank that is DOT certified in our trailers with a hand pump, They are not cheap but work well. Cost about $300.<p>----------<br>paul<br>