Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2000, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have a customer that has requested that i put some lime in his yard, and i also plan on overseeding...would it be ok to overseed then put the lime down? what exactly is the lime going to do, it was a special request and i have never done anything with it before
Old 02-20-2000, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lime is used to raise soil PH. If PH is not a concern in your area then the lime is not necessary. The only way to determine if the PH is correct in this lawn is to take a soil sample. Take about 10 little samples about 3-5" deep and send them to be tested. A local Lesco or maybe your local extension could test it for about $10.00. Lime is used here in Virginia on about 90% of lawns. But in your area it may not be necessary. You can overseed and lime in the same day, but the lime takes weeks to affect the soil. Good Luck and let me know if you have any more questions on this topic.
Old 02-20-2000, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how much does lime cost and what methods are best for applying it to a lawn?
Old 02-20-2000, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Call a local feed store. Lime is cheap, cheap. Use pellets not crushed. What a mess, I learned the hard way. Just use a broadcast spreader.
Old 02-20-2000, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Accurate lawn is right. Get Pelletized Lime. You will only apply the amount needed depending on the soil test results (if you get it done at lesco it will tell you how many lbs. per 1000 sq ft.) The most you would or can use per 1000 sq ft. is 50 lbs. A 50 lb. bag runs about $3.00. You apply it with a rotary spreader.
Old 02-20-2000, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

When useing pellet lime you need to apply twice as much as pulverized to get same amount of lime on the ground.You also need to compare brands of pellet lime to see how fine the lime particales in the pellets are. I used a local brand two years ago and found out there was very little lime in each pellet. Pellets are clean, neat,and expensive but don't give the coverage most lawns need.
Old 02-20-2000, 10:09 PM

Well I've never heard that one before. I'll be checking into that one tomorrow. Have to put twice as much pelletized as powder? Hmmm?
Old 02-21-2000, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just a little more on this topic. I bought a handheld pH meter that tells me within a few minutes what the acidity of the soil is. I have found it to be very accurate compared to lawns which I had recently taken a soil sample from. It cost me about $100 from an internet company. I think their name was Frostproof Growers, I know that they are based in Florida. The pH meter has made my life a lot easier since when I initiate a fertilizing contract I require a pH test since a lawn without the correct acidity won't even take up the fertilizer you spread. Also you don't have to swing by Lesco everytime you start a fertilizer contract. Just some food for thought.
Old 02-21-2000, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

barkleymut, I seen simular meters listed in the A.M.Lenord catalog.They sound very useful if they work properley.
Old 02-21-2000, 10:27 PM

Barkleymut: Is that a Kelway or GSK meter? Sounds like the price range for one. Always wondered how good they worked. Are your soils pretty loamy or do you have any clay in that area?