Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2007, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Getting bigger day by day

Hey Guys,
Im Matt, 22 years old and have been in the buisness since long before I could drive to a job. Growing up I lived in town and started mowing the lawn at my Dad's company and pushing my mower to other jobs. The first couple years I gained a few lawns here and there but could'nt get too big because of school and extra-ciricular activities. After graduation i bought a better push mower and a new weedeater and gained a few more lawns. In 2001 I bought my first ztr mower and only got more lawns from there. In 2002 I landed my first contract, a company called Air Evac. I'm sure alot of you have heard of them, they are the largest air ambulance service in the nation. This contract was good for six lawns and they add more every year. It was then that I realized the income potential. Every year since then I have continued to grow and add new contracts every year. Now I'm running one full time crew and a part time crew. This year I have over 70 accounts and too much landscaping to keep up with. This year i will begin to offer leaf removal as a service.I would like to thank all of you for your very helpful information, it has made my equipment purchasing decisions alot easier.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Even Cut Lawn Cre View Post
Hey Guys,
Im Matt, 22 years old and have been in the buisness since long before I could drive to a job. Growing up I lived in town and started mowing the lawn at my Dad's company and pushing my mower to other jobs. The first couple years I gained a few lawns here and there but could'nt get too big because of school and extra-ciricular activities. After graduation i bought a better push mower and a new weedeater and gained a few more lawns. In 2001 I bought my first ztr mower and only got more lawns from there. In 2002 I landed my first contract, a company called Air Evac. I'm sure alot of you have heard of them, they are the largest air ambulance service in the nation. This contract was good for six lawns and they add more every year. It was then that I realized the income potential. Every year since then I have continued to grow and add new contracts every year. Now I'm running one full time crew and a part time crew. This year I have over 70 accounts and too much landscaping to keep up with. This year i will begin to offer leaf removal as a service.I would like to thank all of you for your very helpful information, it has made my equipment purchasing decisions alot easier.
Hey Matt,
May I ask you a question?
I am solo/part time my self, one year so far. I wonderd if you bought new equiptment before or after you get more customers? I want to buy a new ZTR for next year so I can do more jobs and faster. I use a new 52" WB now, but thought I could do more if the equipment was faster and easier on me, because I work construction all day long for reg. full time job.My wife is scared of more debt and wants me to wait, but I might be looking at this all wrong, but say, if you land five more com. accounts that would pay you a total of $1600 a month and your payment on the ZTR is $325, why is that so hard for her to understand that not only will it pay for the new ZTR, but it would help out paying other bills that she has. Am I looking at this all wrong or is she right?
Thanks.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats on the business!
2008 Chevy Duramax
2007 Chevy 3500HD Dump
2003 Chevy 2500HD

6x16 Tandem Trailer
5x10 SS Trailer
5x8 Dump Trailer
Bobcat CT225 tractor-loader
Wright Stander 48" RH & 48" X
Quick 36”
JD GT225
(2)Honda HRX 217's
Echo & Stihl handhelds

*Link to my thread*
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=242555
Youtube Channel:
www.youtube.com/bobcat61590
Old 10-29-2007, 01:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Hey Matt,
May I ask you a question?
I am solo/part time my self, one year so far. I wonderd if you bought new equiptment before or after you get more customers? I want to buy a new ZTR for next year so I can do more jobs and faster. I use a new 52" WB now, but thought I could do more if the equipment was faster and easier on me, because I work construction all day long for reg. full time job.My wife is scared of more debt and wants me to wait, but I might be looking at this all wrong, but say, if you land five more com. accounts that would pay you a total of $1600 a month and your payment on the ZTR is $325, why is that so hard for her to understand that not only will it pay for the new ZTR, but it would help out paying other bills that she has. Am I looking at this all wrong or is she right?
Thanks.
Jay,
Its going to be very hard for me to give youa clear cut answer to that... there are so many things to factor in. Do you already have these 5 commercial contracts that you mentioned? You also have to realize that you have a large investmeant in your walk behind and if its just you working the buisness then one of the machines will be sitting all the time (probably the walk behind) Have you considered trading in your walk behind? As i began to grow and signed more contracts I slowly began to buy more equipment as I was able to afford it and I am still working on building up my equiptment list. Does your dealer offer financing through shefield or yard card or will you be required to go through your bank? It sounds like this is something that you and your wife must ultimately decide. Feel free to ask any more questions.

Matt