Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2007, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Member

07 Scag Turf Tiger maintenance questions?

I am going to service my new (to me) 07 Turf Tiger, 29 hp. The mower was 6 months when I got it with 90 hours on it. I am going to service it, and have a few questions because the owners manual is a little vague on some things such as greae fitting locations. Does anybody know exactly how many grease fittings is on it. I have searched the entire mower for grease fittings on every moving part I can find, but the owners manual seems to show some I cannot find.
Why does the owners manual say to remove the plugs on the front caster bearings, install a grease fitting, the reinstall the plugs after service is completed. Is there a particular reason not to leave the fittings in for the next service?
There is a grease fitting I found on each brake actuator on each rear wheel that I cannot get to with the wheels mounted on the mower. IT appears that if I took out the straight fitting and put in a 45 degree fitting greasing could be dome with the wheel still installed. Anybody else ran into this?
The owners manual states to use a different kind on grease on the mower deck spindles that the rest of the mower. It says use a Lithium grease in these. I had already used Lucas heavy duty grease in the deck spindles before I read this. Does anybody know if not using a Lithium grease in this area would cause problems? I would have used the correct grease if I had read this first. I put the green Lucas Heavy Duty green in all of the fittings I could find.
Does anybody know what the NAPA part numbers are for all of the filters on this mower? My wife works at a NAPA parts store, so I get a better deal there vs the Scag dealer.

Last edited by scottm1; 10-30-2007 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why does the owners manual say to remove the plugs on the front caster bearings, install a grease fitting, the reinstall the plugs after service is completed. Is there a particular reason not to leave the fittings in for the next service?

I'm pretty sure because if you have grease fittings on the casters at some point your going to break them off when your mowing in and around bushes/shrubs I wrap the front end of my TT around shrubs/ trees all the time. Do you understand what i mean?
Shindaiwa
Old 10-30-2007, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure because if you have grease fittings on the casters at some point your going to break them off when your mowing in and around bushes/shrubs I wrap the front end of my TT around shrubs/ trees all the time. Do you understand what i mean?
Shindaiwa
Old 10-30-2007, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Member

I can see that. The fittings are longer and stick out further than the grease fittings. I can see that if you hit them on something there is more there to catch on, and also more leverage due to the added length that would make them break off easier than the plug. I will take those fittings back out and the put the plug back in. I knew there was a good reason why the manual would say to do that.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

grease

My dealer said they use Amzoil synthetic grease on every grease fitting on every Scag they sell and service. So I purchased a few tubes and have around 580 hrs. on my Turf Tiger and no problems yet. He also told me that you need to grease the drive-shaft and u-joints around every ten hrs. everything else around 25 hrs. So far so good.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Does anybody know what the NAPA part numbers are for all of the filters on this mower? My wife works at a NAPA parts store, so I get a better deal there vs the Scag dealer.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Sponsor

Part numbers and link to manual

Here are the part numbers you need to service your mower
***if you have a canister type air cleaner call us for the correct part#***
972-636-2963 ask for scott

07-063 FUEL FILTER IN LINE KAWASAKI $3.51
83-282 OIL FILTER KAWASAKI $4.70
30-327 Air Filter fits models FD671, FD750 & FD791 $18.89
83-011 HYDOIL FILTER - SCAG $10.43

Herer is the link to OP and parts manuals
http://www.scag.com/OpManuals/STT/STTOPMANTOC.html

I hope you will give us a try.
www.mowpart.com
"We are here to help"
Old 12-07-2007, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a Toro Z-Master, does anyone have a trick to get the caps/plugs off the front casters to get to the grease fittings?