Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-31-2007, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking for info related to retail sales

In an effort to supplement my seasonal landscaping company, I would like to sell Christmas trees for the first time this year. I'm interested in any info/advice from experienced retailers. Will a hundred trees be enough. Is night time security necessary? What types and sizes of trees are the best sellers? Any wholesalers you could recommend near Jefferson Co. WV (Eastern Panhandle)? What kinda prices can I charge. When do you start selling? Normal hours of operation (9am-9pm?) What's the best way to display your trees? I live approximately 65 miles from Washington, DC. I believe it to be a lucrative environment with large numbers of commuters residing in rural WV.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Member

hundred trees? for the first year maybe more then enough.
security? there are no serial numbers on trees. if kids get 1 or 2 no big deal. setting someone up in buisness sucks.
Biggest seller: Scotch Pine
Best seller: Balsam Fir
Most wanted: Fraser Fir
Scotch = 5 1/2'-7' Fir = 7-8'
wholesalers? does WV have a state Christmas tree association? other wise National Christmas Tree Association may be of assistence.
Prices: plan is to double your money...ain't been there in awhile.
Start selling soon as first guy reaches for his wallet.
9-9 works...maybe 9-5 (6) on sunday.
Display? here's one hint, all evergreens are thin on the north side where they grow in the field. when holding this tree up for a customer to view, stand in the north side!!! and always handle that tree on the north side.
later
Old 11-12-2007, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancekid74 View Post
I believe it to be a lucrative environment with large numbers of commuters residing in rural WV.
Think of your market 1st and foremost. 'Rural W.V. sounds really scary to me! But obviously, you would know if most of these folks have $$$ for trees, or if most of them are poor shleps who are more likely to hack down some cedar on their hillside like John Boy Walton.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You are WAY, WAY LATE

Drive in Rt 7 to Leesburg and look at a couple of Meadows Farms for setup info and pricing. Every one in retail is set up before Thanksgiving

Nobody wants an ugly tree...don't buy cheap row run or #2, thats what will be left over.

Buy all 7-8' #1 or premium and maybe 2 or 3 10-12 for cathedral ceilings. Stick to 2-3 varieties only and let that be your price point difference. Don't even try to price trees separately. For example all 7-8 balsam, canaan, or doug fir 49.99, all fraser 69.99

Cut them all open, stand them all up tied to rebar posts...don't forget light strings from depot, it gets dark at 5, use a generator if you must.

good luck, you needed to start this in mid August
Old 11-13-2007, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

#1's only. and your probly a little to late. when we did it our orders were always placed first of september. we hand picked our trees a couple times. (that was fun pickin 800 trees...) but dont expect profits your first year. but i think your to late. but i dont know your area so there ya go. down here noble firs and doug firs are hot. o and best time to sell is evening, our hours were 10 a.m.- 9 p.m. always sold more from 6-8 p.m.

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com

Last edited by TXNSLighting; 11-13-2007 at 09:51 AM. Reason: forgot hours.