Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-01-2007, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Member

mix popup rotors with normal rotors?

Can the new Rainbird popup rotor nozzles be mixed with normal gear driven rotors? We have a rotor zone where there is a small strip of turf with some areas of large open turf areas. The small strip(about 8ft wide by 150ft long) has rotors along a fence and they spray right onto a 8 ft sidewalk, flowing down the concrete like a river, into a rock bed with shrubs(flooding it). We want to try these nozzles here so there is no spray onto the walk. My inclination is to cap the existing rotors along the fence and create another zone with normal popup sprays appropriate to the area. We have never used the rotor nozzles before. So, mix or separate the zones? Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Depending on the nozzle size of your existing gear drives, the RB & MP
nozzles can be used in the same zone as the percipition rate is about the same, tho in my experience, the more zones, the more pinpoint control,
especially where flooding is happening. 8' is too narrow for rotators, I'd use
spray heads on a sep. zone...ever try Weather-Matic 5500 series brass?
Old 11-01-2007, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
ever try Weather-Matic 5500 series brass?

I could feel a super sale coming on!
Old 11-01-2007, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
tho in my experience, the more zones, the more pinpoint control, especially where flooding is happening. 8' is too narrow for rotators, I'd use spray heads on a sep. zone.
Ditto.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutting crew View Post
Can the new Rainbird popup rotor nozzles be mixed with normal gear driven rotors? We have a rotor zone where there is a small strip of turf with some areas of large open turf areas. The small strip(about 8ft wide by 150ft long) has rotors along a fence and they spray right onto a 8 ft sidewalk, flowing down the concrete like a river, into a rock bed with shrubs(flooding it). We want to try these nozzles here so there is no spray onto the walk. My inclination is to cap the existing rotors along the fence and create another zone with normal popup sprays appropriate to the area. We have never used the rotor nozzles before. So, mix or separate the zones? Thanks in advance for any input.
Book answer: Yes, the RB Rotary Nozzles are a match if you are using the 5000 MPR nozzles in your Rotors. The Walla Walla MP Rotator has a lower precip rate than most rotors so it would need a seperate zone I would guess. It sounds like you may be doing a seperate zone/vavle anyway so it may not be a big deal...but if you go with the Rain Bird you could skip the additonal valve/zone.

Last edited by Keen; 11-02-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keen View Post
Book answer: Yes, the RB Rotary Nozzles are a match if you are using the 5000 MPR nozzles in your Rotors. The Walla Walla MP Rotator has a lower precip rate than most rotors so it would need a seperate zone I would guess. It sounds like you may be doing a seperate zone/vavle anyway so it may not be a big deal...but if you go with the Rain Bird you could skip the additonal valve/zone.
Needs a sep. zone..MPs will retro with Weather Matic 55-03 sprays too. .75 is magic #.