Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-01-2007, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

John Deere lx176 - no spark

My John Deere Lx176, 14hp K series engine - doesn't get a spark. I got off it one day of mowing, a bit later, it'd turn over but wouldn't start - so I pushed it into the garage. Since then I've tried a lot of things but can't seem to get my spark tester to light up. - I checked the two fuses behind the steering wheel, the seat switch seems to work fine. There's a brown wire laying in the left side of the engine compartment with an end on it - the end looks like it's never been clamped to anything so it's probably always been there, loose - just never noticed it before. I'd like to see a wiring diagram but so far no luck. Any suggestions?

Jamie
Old 11-01-2007, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Jamie,

Below is the wire diagram, Sorry it's in two pages. Just print them out and tape them together.

First thing I would suggest is disconnect the white kill wire from the coil near the engine and check for spark again.

If you have spark with this white wire disconnected the problem is with a switch or in the tractor harness.

If you still don't have spark with this white wire disconnected the problem is with the engine ignition system, Bad coil or possibly the white wire is shorted inside the flywheel cover.

To properly diagnose a engine ignition problem both model and spec. numbers would be helpful.

Good Luck

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 11-01-2007, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you so much! I'll use this schematic, and your advice. The tractor isn't at home, but will go look it over tomorrow. I'll get more numbers if I run into more questions.
Jamie.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

the brown wire if you haven;t found out already goes to an optional oil sendor you can install on the unit. does this have a ignitor on the side of the engine or is this one built into the coil.

leeker
Old 11-03-2007, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I was thinking from the wiring diagram that the brown (tan) wire went to an optional oil pressure system - thanks for verifying that. The white wire Restrorob was talking about, goes to (or through) a small square device on the right side of the engine - that device has the numbers BM11 29 3H6H printed on it. - the wire just unclips from this. When I remove it I still don't see a spark. The only additional numbers I can come up with are " John Deere LX176 K series 14hp e/n fc420vB00720 Kawasaki code fc420v as10 Thanks again, Jamie.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoonstrips View Post
14hp K series engine

Jamie,

A "K Series engine" is a Kohler......So......That makes the wire diagram above wrong for the Kawasaki engine.

But, You need to disconnect the kill wire going to the tractor ignition switch not the wire going from this ignitor to the coil.

Here is the test procedure/specs. on testing the igniter and coil on a FC Kawasaki.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!

Last edited by Restrorob; 11-04-2007 at 05:52 AM.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I know a long time has passed - but I did just check the ignitor and I found no continutity between the case and the terminal. I checked it without removing anything so I'm hoping I did it right. Thanks.. Jamie.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you got no continuity then it would be safe to say the igniter is bad.

Old 04-19-2008, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks - I'm hoping this might fix the problem.
I'll get a replacement and will post the results.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks so much Restrorob,
I managed to get an igniter on Ebay and it fixed the problem; I mowed with the John Deere today!
Jamie