Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-03-2007, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

STIHL FC 110 Edger

The FC 110 was left sitting outside and was full of muddy water when I bought it. I have cleaned it and and added neew plug and filter but the edger has NO compression.... anyone know if there is a simple rebuild kit I can purchase or is it a possible lost cause?

The shop told me on the phone that I would be better off purchasing a new one than fixing this one. Yeah they never even looked at it!
Old 11-03-2007, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkcat_Ga View Post
The FC 110 was left sitting outside and was full of muddy water when I bought it. I have cleaned it and and added neew plug and filter but the edger has NO compression.... !
Try putting alittle straight mix oil (1/2 oz.) in the cylinder through the spark plug hole and let it soak for 1/2 and hour. The piston should be almost all the way up and the muffler off, then with the plug out, work the engine with the starter rope until all the extra oil pumps itself out. Then check to see if the compression has come up to 100 psi +. If the compression comes back up and there are no other issues, it should start for you. Have you checked it for spark ?
But if it dosen't regain it's compression, you are better off getting a new edger.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Thx Breezmister I'll try that out tomorrow. Checked and it has spark...my youngest kid found out when he was holding the plug wire!

I dont think it has any other problems and I know it didnt before it was lost outside, the edger is only about 6 months old with approximately 80 - 120 hours at the most. It does have a small amount of carbon build up but nothing major.