Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-03-2007, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Skid Steer Mulcher Size

I have purchased an ASV RC100 and I'm getting ready to buy a Mulcher. I am leaning toward the FAE and I'm wondering about the size I should purchase. It would seem that the Mulcher should cover the tracks but, this person said it doesn't really matter. He is an experienced Mulcher person (3 years) but, also is trying to sell his FAE. What is your experiences with this issue?
Old 11-04-2007, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

no it dosent matter your not mowing grass and trying to make stripes. someone on here has a fae for sale with 300hrs on it. have you installed the cooler on your rc100?
Old 11-04-2007, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Member

No I haven't installed a cooler yet. Does the ASV dealer sell them?
Old 11-04-2007, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The narrower the mower, the more hp per tooth you will get. FAE has a nice tooth pattern and leaves good mulch and works well on ASV. You could look at the CAT version which I run and honestly LOVE. It is only rated for a max 36 gpm but I run 37 and haven't had any issues.
The new Bobcat mower is a FECON, I believe but the spiral pattern and 5ft cutting width would be a perfect fit for your machine both weigh-wise and hydraulic requirements. I believe you are at 38 gpm and 3300 psi? Bobcat is 37 gpm and 3300 psi and the new bobcat forestry mower is matched for the new K series Bobcats with 37gpm pumps. I haven't used one but we all know FECON is a good brand and the spiral tooth pattern will mean you can cut without bogging down as much.

Let us know how it turns out!
Attached Images

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 11-04-2007, 07:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

YellowDog, Have you ever saw a Magnum used. I have sold several. I have a customer who runs a T300 and T320 with one. He has had serious overheating problems with his Fecon heads. I think a lot of Bobcats over heating problems are from the High flow running through regular flow fittings combined with hoses running inside the booms. The magnum I sold them has a external oil cooler on it. When we come out with joy sticks he has already told me to order him a CT332. We were running the Magnum head with out the cooler in 105 deg weather with no problems on the CT332.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I haven't heard anything about the new machines overheating. I haven't overheated a machine since K series came out. Most importantly, I find that keeping the oil cooler free of debris keeps the machine running smooth. On the other brand machines with bigger hiflow fittings, don't they neck down to the same size hydraulic lines?
I have seen the magnums. To me, the ones with somewhat of a spiral pattern all work about the same. The ones with straight line of teeth seem to have too many teeth contacting the ground or material and that really makes the pump work harder.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 11-04-2007, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnie12340 View Post
No I haven't installed a cooler yet. Does the ASV dealer sell them?
no, you need to get a cooler from the dealer of the brand of head you will be running. they run about 3,000-4,000. my fecon dealer has sold 4 heads that were put on ct332 and all four people have come back to get the cooler. so that should tell you something. i have only run fecon so i cant really compare to anything else but it cuts very good. the dealers had me convinced i could just come up to a 9'' tree and chew it up in seconds and this machine would be soooo productive..... not the case 4'' and 5'' yeah, but any thing over that with only 100hp is underpowered in my opinion. i have mulched 20'' trees to nothing but it takes a hour.
do you get the landscape and tree service equipment trader magazine?
Old 11-04-2007, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I agree but think 4-6 inch is good for a skid steer mower. Takes a little finesse but you can grind bigger softwoods like cedar and juniper here in Texas. I grind trees in the 12-15 inch range but mostly when I am grinding piles. It isn't efficient to do large, standing trees that big though you can knock off the top and grind down the stump in just a few minutes on a BIG cedar BUT cleaning up all the limbs is a PAIN and I find it is cleaner and more efficient to shear and chip the big trees and brush mow the smaller. Yeah, it's more equipment on site and typically costs 1/3more to do it that way but the results blow away just mulching everything.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 11-04-2007, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't need the external cooler on the RC100. My buddy does nothing but mulch with his RC100 and he has never had a problem with over heating AS LONG AS HE REGULARLY CLEANS HIS OIL COOLER AND RADIATOR. I was told by the local Bradco rep that the external cooler that the magnum uses was designed for the John Deere and New Holland high flow machines because they had insufficient cooling capability.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

then if no one needs them why are they made? because they keep things cooler and they will last longer and run better. every machine doesn't "need" one but they all can benefit from one. i