Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2000, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Any thoughts on the new Honda 4-stroke trimmers? I was thinking of buying them this season.<br>Chris
Old 02-19-2000, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

My dealer showed them to me they seem to have just as much power as a two-stroke engine, very light and quiet. They would last a bit longer than a two-stroke and honda is a very dependable and long lasting engine. I have yet to purchase one because they don't have a very large selection like hedge trimmers, blowers, etc.<p><br>Exquisite Lawn Services
Old 02-19-2000, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

very light?<p>In color or fuel use maybe, not in weight.
Old 02-19-2000, 10:42 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I was told they are heavier than the 2 cycle. I've also been told the 2 cycle out lasts the 4 cycle. Which is it? Does anyone know for sure?<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 02-19-2000, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

2 cycle engines run better, longer and cooler at high rpms than a 4 stroke.
Old 02-19-2000, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

2 strokes have more power. They also last<br>longer and are more reliable because 4 <br>strokes have more moving parts.I found my<br>FS106 Stihl was much lighter than the Honda<br>equivalent.Honda makes brilliant mowers,<br>but I'm not so sure about their trimmers.
Old 02-20-2000, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2 stokes are lighter and can rev higher.<p>That is their only advantage.<p>If 2 stroke engines were more reliable, lasted longer, better looking etc., etc. we'd all have 2 strokes in our cars, trucks, mowers, etc.<p>Remember the Detroit Diesel?<p>Remember when ATV's and Outboard boat motors were ALL 2-stroke? <p>Honda's on to something here. I'm not sure the current offering is the ticket, but it's a sign of things to come.<br>
Old 02-20-2000, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lazer is correct. Honda's 4 stroke is heavier and their first models were somewhat plagued with problems. I spoke to the Honda rep at a recent trade show and they have their newer (improved) models out there now. The 4 stroke engines on their trimmers can run twice as long as their 2 stroke counterparts on the same amount of fuel. They produce fewer emissions and run quieter which will eventually become the norm with all the baning of noise and two stroke unburned emissions. They say that a two stroke wave runner in the first two hours of operations emits more unburned emissions into the air than a automobile that has been driven a 100,000 miles! Makes you think.
Old 02-22-2000, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone has tried a Husqavarne, do they last a long time? I used one last season and it worked great. But I am hoping it will perform similarily in years to come.<br>
Old 02-22-2000, 05:54 PM
Nick

I own one. Just purchased it and I love it. I just put the brushcutter on it and it's great. Honda does it again.