Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-05-2007, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Member

A Dream Come True

Hello everyone, just wanted to take a moment to intro myself. I have been doing lawn care/landscaping my entire life, whether mowing, mulching, leaf blowing, or planting, but usually as a part time gig, either to help out someone or to take care of my rental properties. For the past ten years though, after I lost my corporate career in the medical profession , I made a decision to do what I enjoy doing. Guess what that was? That's right, working in the great outdoors with my hands. And up until this past week, we (my 2 sons and I) did all of our work with a honda mower, a stihl BP blower, and a Stihl shaft drive weedeater. Good equipment and we worked it hard. I just could not justify buying a ZTR of any kind. Used some, borrowed a few, almost bought one (ill save that story for another day).. Then, I found someone selling out, and he had what I wanted. So I bit the bullet, got a loan and bought him out. Dane Super Surfer 61" w/200 hrs, JD 48" walk behind w/ hydro 320 hrs, 2 shindawa shaft drives, Shindawa BP, and trailer and lots of accessories, PLUS 14 residential customers, all for $9500 A dream come true...I couldnt let it go. So now, we are going legit, wanting to give it a go fulltime, and am trying to figure out what works for us. I have been managing rental properties for 20 years and still do, but doing less of that and more lawn care. I look forward to getting to know you guys (and girls) as time goes on. Just purchased the "Total Lawncare Package" manual, and have been drawing from bits and pieces of wisdom on this site already. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the story RSP1961. It was encouraging to me as I can relate to a few things. Sounds like you made a good transition out of your previous career. I have also done lawn care on a part-time basis and am strongly considering doing it full-time. I'm better suited to working outside and having my own business rather than being an employee. But I keep second-guessing my myself.

Like you, I have managed some rental units for about 12 years. I've found that it has gotten a little harder mainly due to renters.

What was your postion in the healthcare industry.

Take care
Old 11-05-2007, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

I was what is called a "Director of Industrial Medicine"...big title but thats a about it. I ran a program that was designed to get injured workers back to work. So I dealt with disgruntled workers comp clients all day long, as well as insurance companies, case mgrs, and worst of all MD's, all wanting a different result and wanting it NOW! Very high stress, and no matter what, you could NEVER please everyone. Especially the boss. This is in the owrld of Physical Therapy, and thought I was pretty independent, but I think the brain begins to fool itself into believing what you want it to, in order to survive (i think its called denial)...NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING, beats working for yourself! Ill take the lower pay, and hard labor over selling my soul to the corporate devil any day. I was one of a million zombies walking around out there believing that they have reached "success" and yet I was dead. Thank God for the great outdoors and the feeling of satisfaction when laoding the trailer at the last customer's house at the end of the day.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Member

That's very true RSP1961. There can be a great deal of satisfaction with lawn care. In my current job I work on projects for at least several months and, as a result, there is not the day-to-day satisfaction that most people need. With lawn care, when the day is done, you know what you have acomplished, the yards look much better, and clients are happy. I wish you and your sons the best with your business.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Great story. What kind of Honda mower were/are you using? Good luck with your business
2008 Chevy Duramax
2007 Chevy 3500HD Dump
2003 Chevy 2500HD

6x16 Tandem Trailer
5x10 SS Trailer
5x8 Dump Trailer
Bobcat CT225 tractor-loader
Wright Stander 48" RH & 48" X
Quick 36”
JD GT225
(2)Honda HRX 217's
Echo & Stihl handhelds

*Link to my thread*
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=242555
Youtube Channel:
www.youtube.com/bobcat61590
Old 11-05-2007, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

umm...its funny you ask that...i have no idea what kind of honda it is...LoL. there are no markings on the outside of it as to the engine size or cut size, and I do not remember what it was when i purchased it...its been a great mower tho... actually if you really wanna know ill go down to the basement when its light outside and figure it out, but not really up to it right now.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsp1961 View Post
umm...its funny you ask that...i have no idea what kind of honda it is...LoL. there are no markings on the outside of it as to the engine size or cut size, and I do not remember what it was when i purchased it...its been a great mower tho... actually if you really wanna know ill go down to the basement when its light outside and figure it out, but not really up to it right now.
Lol. I always liked honda, I thinkc I am going to have to get a HRC soon. Good Luck!
2008 Chevy Duramax
2007 Chevy 3500HD Dump
2003 Chevy 2500HD

6x16 Tandem Trailer
5x10 SS Trailer
5x8 Dump Trailer
Bobcat CT225 tractor-loader
Wright Stander 48" RH & 48" X
Quick 36”
JD GT225
(2)Honda HRX 217's
Echo & Stihl handhelds

*Link to my thread*
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=242555
Youtube Channel:
www.youtube.com/bobcat61590
Old 11-20-2007, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey rsp, what do you think about the lawncare pkg. you purchased?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats! I wish you best of luck!

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 11-20-2007, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

well welcome to lawnsite and best of luck to you and your two sons