Register free!

Old 11-07-2007, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Adding Some Water Conservation...

...to my irrigation system. My current system is comprised of a Hunter SRC controler along with mostly I-20 heads (changing all from RB 5000's), 8 zones and 32 heads.

Now, I would like to make this system more conservative. I find that sometimes I irrigate to much and sometimes not enough depending on weather. Parts of my yard retains a bunch of moisture, I have been working for a while to adjust the operating times on each zone. This, along with replacing the broken RB heads, has really helped. Now I would like to add something that would sense moisture in order to make the system a bit more water conservative. The bills in the middle of summer really get high.

Is this possible to add to my current system and is it something that me, a homeowner, could install? I don't mind putting some time into it and was thinking of something along the lines of a Baseline S100. Would this help me or do you recommend something else?
Old 11-07-2007, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidR View Post
Now, I would like to make this system more conservative.

Political change is never easy. Good luck in your endeavor!
Old 11-07-2007, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Watertech

The watertech S100 is a good place to start. It's easy to install, although there is a little calibration time involved and sensor placement is key. Keep in mind though, the watertech is going to control whether or not your ENTIRE system runs on a given day. You need to get into the more advanced Baseline systems in order to do zone groupings and micro-climates. Should not be an issue since your system sounds relatively small.
Good Luck
Old 11-07-2007, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Read this thread.http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=201440 I think this is what you are looking for. Also check out the weathermatic Smartline www.smartline.com
Old 11-07-2007, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the links. That is the thread I go the idea from.

Would I really only benefit from using the Baseline if I coupled it with the Weathermatic? Should I install the Weathermatic then the Baseline or vice versa? Also, would I need to run any new wires in order to install the Weathermatic or could I use the existing?
Old 11-07-2007, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for the links. That is the thread I go the idea from.

Would I really only benefit from using the Baseline if I coupled it with the Weathermatic? Should I install the Weathermatic then the Baseline or vice versa? Also, would I need to run any new wires in order to install the Weathermatic or could I use the existing?
My advice would be to install the WM SLine and not worry about the Baseline for awhile. Set the interval period for every third day. That seems to be the frequency that my Baseline allows watering. No extra wires needed for either. Will need to hardwire in the WM weather monitor.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, the first place I would look at is your landscape, not the irrigation system. Water conservation should be less about irrigation, and more about reducing or eliminating the need for it.

That being said, if between a rock and hard place, adjustments/renovation to/of an irrigation system that is currently inefficient can produce substantial water savings, however I would still recommend you give your landscape and soils a good evaluation to determine the best possible course of action.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
That being said, if between a rock and hard place, adjustments/renovation to/of an irrigation system that is currently inefficient can produce substantial water savings, however I would still recommend you give your landscape and soils a good evaluation to determine the best possible course of action.

I have been trying to make adjustments where I could to the current system this year. I plan on adding a few MP Rotators next year in order to make my current system a bit more efficient. Also I have really cut back some watering times on many of the zones that don't see much full sun.

As for evaluating soils, I wouldn't even know where to start. Are there any recommendations you have or sites where I can research this myself?
Old 11-08-2007, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
Will need to hardwire in the WM weather monitor.
Where is the best place to mount the weather monitor? Also, which monitor do you recommend? Is the 20 worth the extra expense?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Where is the best place to mount the weather monitor? Also, which monitor do you recommend? Is the 20 worth the extra expense?
Area open on all 4 sides for full rain collection potential. preferably on the east or north side of house. main thing is clear coverage. We buy the smaller monitor and have had no problems. Kiril is right on the landscape but even if that doesn't change eliminating sources of waste such as low head drainage, improper zoning, coverage issues, pressure issues, etc goes a long way on water conservation. The SL does a lot of multicycling and if the pipes drain after every cycle then a lot of water get wasted. The controller is the last part of my water conservation overhauls. Don't rule out the baseline down the road. I just think getting familiar with the WM SL needs to happen first.
I APPLAUD YOUR EFFORT.