Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-07-2007, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Opinions on software for business...

I have been using quickbooks for my other business accounting, but am trying to figure out what is best for this business. I dont JUST want accounting software. I would love some type of software that once you enter the customers information including price and mowing schedule, it is then placed on a calender of sorts. So that each day I can pull up that calender, it will have the customers for the day, their needs, etc. The person I bought the business from, just gave me a spread sheet on excel with all info...Can excel be used to lay out schedules and such? Ive used and seen it used for bidding estimates, calculating, etc, but am clueless as how to set it up for this. What do the big boys use to keep track of everything? I saw one guy on here created his own calculator for bids/estimates, which I thought was very smart.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2007, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

BTW..i have and am still searching the site for a good recommendation. Please, please, please...I am going to talk to a CPA today, i have my quickbooks, and I am getting some new customers, and wanted to stay ahead of the game by starting with a good software..is there one out there for the lawn/landscape business? Not design...more geared for accounting and scheduling...
Old 11-08-2007, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I use ACT, but am looking for a new program. any suggestions???
Old 11-08-2007, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Member

OK nevermind, apparently there must be some kind of "gag order" on giving opinions on software ...however, i did find 3 softwares, that are specific to this business, and im baffled as to why no one has mentioned them. i had ordered the manual from this site and had not read all the way through it yet, but i found the chapter on software.

so..if anyone feels obliged, id love to hear opinions on which is best..."clip", "gopher", or "groundskeeper"...

the one thing i definitely need is one that is compatible with quickbooks and so far ive only found that "clip" is...

however, i cant tell you how happy i was to find these softwares and cant wait to get started with one of them. thanks to the business operations manual sold on this site for that.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use groundskeeper. for my needs it is great. i cannot say it is better than the rest of those because i have not used them. but for my estimates which is my primary use of it i find it great. note i am a small company with small needs and from what i see so far it can grow with me
Old 11-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Sponsor

Book keeping

We use Gopher (a sponsor) and it has saved time and made routing a breeze
Old 11-08-2007, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use QExpress for scheduling and Quickbooks for bookkeeping. Do a search in the Business management area.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

i watched the titorial on gopher and its looks pretty amazing you can schedule mark off the jobs that are done do contracts and print out bills at the end of the month or when ever you prefer
Old 11-19-2007, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks guys, sorry for the delay in response, but i didnt realize i had any more responses. i apparently clicked off the "email me when i get replies" ...

why didnt anyone tell me in the beginning that we had sponsors with this product??..lol...i always ignore those lil icons at the top of any website page, so i overlooked the products available.

anyways, im using a trial version of gopher, but havent purchased it yet, so all insights are very helpful.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

if you do fertilizing and the sort gopher pro is the way to go. if you just mow, go with gopher basic.