Register free!

Old 12-07-2007, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Christmas Lights Suck!

I've been in my front yard for the past 5 hours putting up Christmas lights, and I've been cursing everyone I know who does this for a living. Before I go any further, I want to apologize to any of you who install Christmas lights because I just called you a freakin idot about 100 times in the last few hours.
I just don't understand why anyone would want to take on this hassle as a business? I got half the lights up, look back at what I had accomplished, and there would be a segment of lights out in the middle of a string! Back and forth to the garage to figure out the problem, up and down the ladder, over and over again. Who does this crap with a passion? I've got people hammering me to put up these stupid lights for them, but I absolutely hate Christmas lights! Are you guys just warped in the mind to be dealing with this kind of thing? I mean really; if I have this much trouble with my own lights, why would I want to expose myself to a hundred customers who would call me on Christmas Eve with a problem? AAAAHHHHHHhh!!!
OK, I'm through venting now. I'm gonna go look at my pretty lights.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You couldn't be more correct my friend. I agree a resounding 100%
Old 12-08-2007, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

you 2 are starting to scare me!! LOL
Old 12-08-2007, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
you 2 are starting to scare me!! LOL
??????????? Huh? Why?
Old 12-08-2007, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Chris, I was looking into Christmas lighting last year, and my worry was the same with the crappy materials. But they make professional grade stuff, just as in LV lighting. Dave or Doug or a Christmas lighting guy should chime in here. The specs I read, if I recall, were much better than the consumer crap. It would be worth purchasing commercial Christmas lights just for your own home!!! You can buy spools and cut/splice to length using quick connects fairly easily. You use green or white SPT wire in spools to make your own "extension cords." The holiday lighting guys have it figured out.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

we installed over 6 cases of LED lighting last night and it went perfect... commercial grade Diogens... very easy to work with altho thier connectors are very well built they are rather large..

Slick as snot the whole shabang is on the upb with the low voltage and the back is yet to come. Would I want to do it for 2 months a year ???... probably not but I wouldnt pass up the chance to do it if the client was willing to commit to using the best materials so I didnt have the hassels you did.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, So 3 years ago I bought 500 strands of commercial grade mini lights on clearance froma supplier who decided not to do christmas stuff anymore. My plan was to build a computerized 100' tree in my front yard, just to irritate my neighbors. They are still in the boxes for the same reason you just said Chris. Maybe I will pay my friend who does christmas lights? I even ran the power already for this veture and have the controls from Animated Lighting...LOL
Tommy Herren, CLVLT #1169
Member of AOLP, CA chapter
www.thelightinggeek.com

Battling the Forces of Darkness Everywhere
Old 12-08-2007, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
??????????? Huh? Why?
This polite exchange of information and comments between you and Pete is frightening. I have never seen you too be so cordial to eachother and I am not sure I like it!! LOL

No it is great, I am glad you guys are getting along. Makes things go a bit smoother in terms of keeping good lighting info flowing!

Saturday afternnon drinks on me!!
Old 12-08-2007, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
This polite exchange of information and comments between you and Pete is frightening. I have never seen you too be so cordial to eachother and I am not sure I like it!! LOL

No it is great, I am glad you guys are getting along. Makes things go a bit smoother in terms of keeping good lighting info flowing!

Saturday afternnon drinks on me!!
Chris is great. I have tremendous admiration for him. I'm very fortunate not to be in his service area. He is a tremendous competitor and a much better landscape lighter than I could ever dream to be. Honest ingine.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Holy crap I think I just shead a tear!!

You guys have finally turnd the corner. I feel like I am watching Apollo Creed and Rocky Baloboa in what was it Rocky 3 when he faught the russian Ivan Kut.....never mind??