Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-10-2007, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I wouldn't be responsible for the trees if they die and would let the home owner know that these trees may not live but me having less than 6 mos. before I can take my ISA cert. arborist exam, I can say that if the home owner insists to keep the trees dig out the back fill atleast 2-3 ft more wide install a retaining wall in there then plant ivy. My best recommendation though would be to remove the trees then back fill.

-Scottscape
Old 11-10-2007, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sad You would think if the trees weren't removed to begin with they were expected to be kept by the designer.

I agree with the cut and replant suggestions. Best you could do if you wanted to keep the existing trees is build retaining walls, which IMO is poor solution to a crappy backfill job.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The root of the problem appears to be the selection of a house that did not fit the site or the lack of planning the site to accept the house.

Different communities have different requirements to get building permits. Up here in the people's republic you typically need a site plan that shows existing contours, proposed contours, and limits of clearing. Everyone would have known that retaining walls would be necessary or trees would have to be cut because it would all have to be proven out on paper. In some places you just need to show that it meets zoning setbacks and no one actually proves out a site plan. The next thing you know, you are reacting to the siye and the house after the house is under construction.

Yup, you save money in engineering costs by not needing the site proven out. But then you are faced with the unexpected which is sometimes the gift that keeps on giving.

This looks like a case where someone got a house plan and forced it on a site. We have a walkout basement and a first floor garagethat requires 4' of fill chasing down a slope that is a great distance away from the driveway. It is just incomplete planning from the get go.

So, they saved a grand or two in engineering and now will pay much more in trees and/or retaining walls. Dollars vs. sense.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGLA View Post
The root of the problem appears to be the selection of a house that did not fit the site or the lack of planning the site to accept the house.
Oh, you liked the Corinthian columns on a brick house in Tennessee too?
Old 11-10-2007, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Cut the stinkin' trees down... plant some smaller trees and shrubs and work around those... end of story.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Member

the just recently dug this out from around the trees. We told them they would die so they dug it out. I would say the builder is responsible for this. The customer definately does not want to lose the trees.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Builders see us as a stone in their shoe more than anything. It kills me how much profit interior guys keep and people have no problem paying it. However, we show up with 100k plus in equipment and people almost hit the floor at landscaping rates. Landscaping is usually planned at the end of the project when all the change orders like granite, porcelain, travertine has been upgraded. Then people want a CHEAP driveway etc. because they are WAAAYY over budget. I want to know why would you rather slice tomatoes on a $8k granite counter instead of driving up to a nicely landscaped house you can be proud of? I will ALWAYS have formica counter tops for this reason.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If the trees live, I'd like to see Allan Block retaining walls built in a crescent around them with the wall flollowing the slope and daylighting on the bottom, even rock would look nice.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 11-12-2007, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I Say You Don't Plant Any Grass On The Hill And Let God And The Rain Wash Out The Trees. And When It Washes Out The House, Just Call The Builder Back To Fix It All.....
Old 11-13-2007, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the input on this. I appreciate all the help. If we land the job I will post pics.