Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-15-2000, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a clearing job comming up and was thinking of using Poison Ivy Blocker. The local drug store sells it for $11. Here comes the best part; The directions on the back says &quot;for best results avoid poison ivy&quot;<br>If I avoid poison ivy I wont need their product. Have any of you tried this?
Old 07-15-2000, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First off, I get poison ivy a lot. Second, my mom bought me some blocker from Avon. I still have the bottle in the cab of my truck waiting for the opportunity to use it. Probably never will use it since I try to avoid it as much as possible. If you know you are gonna be in the stuff then use it, it could save you a lot of nights sitting up scratching your legs.
Old 07-15-2000, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Ivy Block. You can buy it at wal-mart for about $10 a bottle it's worked great for me and I'm very sensative to poison ivy. Just remember to apply it before going out to mow.<br>I've actually had good results applying it directly to poison ivy if I do get it. For some reason it seems to stop the itching and dries up the rash.
Old 07-15-2000, 10:26 PM
Millenium Member

FYI: Poison Ivy, Oak,and Sumac are spread by an oil on the plant. This can be spread by direct contact, contact with clothing that was exposed, or from airborne particles such as burning plants. If you think you have been exposed, carefully remove clothing and place in washer, take a bath with a lot of soap, clean under nails, and pray.<p>It's not transmitted from the blisters on your skin, it's from the oil. I once had the pleasure of being covered over appx. 80% of my body, really sucked! <p>Ray <br><p><font size="1">Edited by: KirbysLawn
Old 07-16-2000, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys, check this website out about &quot;curing&quot; poison ivy. I don't know if it works, but I found the website while trying to learn more about poison ivy. Here is the address: www.zanfel.com/zanfel.htm
Old 07-16-2000, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Knock on wood - I've never had it. I do my best to avoid it and know exactly where any is on all of my maintenance accounts and I do a search for it on any new jobs. Guys that have worked for me get it practically by just looking at it. On some clean up jobs where we had to remove poison ivy and sumac we used Ivy Block and none of us got it, so I vote that its worth the price. Like anything, follow the directions.
Old 07-17-2000, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I never knew there a blocker out there. Thanks for mentioning it. When I get poisen ivy, I don't wait for the ointments to dry it up. I just take a swiss army knife and scrape the blisters till they pop and let it dry up that way.<br>
Old 07-17-2000, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Member

About [red]Poison Ivy[/red]<p>www.gorp.com/gorp/health/oakivfaq.htm<br>(treatment tips)<p>www.poisonivy.aesir.com/cures.html<br>(treatment tips)<p>www.runnersworld.com/bodyshop/bsivy.html <br>(article and treatment options)<p>http://www.jaxmed.com/articles/Disea...dermatitis.htm <br>(Pictures)<p>www.poisonivy.aesir.com/<br>(Poison Ivy, Oak And Sumac Information Center. Pictures.)<p>www.zanfel.com/zanfel.htm <br>
Old 07-17-2000, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/<br>(Poison Ivy, Oak And Sumac Information Center. Pictures.)<p>http://poisonivy.aesir.com/cures.html <br>(Poison Ivy, Oak and Sumac Information Center: Reader Suggestions for treating poison ivy rash)
Old 07-18-2000, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You may want to get a product called Technu. It is made to wash off the poison ivy oil (urushiol). If you get the oil on you, it doesn't wash off easily with soap and water and it binds to your skin cells within 20 minutes or up to a couple of hours. I carry Technu with me. The same company makes Ivy Armour, which is meant to be applied before working around poison ivy. You can find these products in most drugstores. Once the oil has<br>bound itself to your skin cells, your immune system thinks your own skin is foreign and starts killing it. It then takes a couple of weeks for that skin to be shed and replaced. The pus from the blisters is not contagious but most people will still have the oil on them by the time they start itching and will then spread it around. So it is always a good idea to wash thoroughly with Technu if you have been around poison ivy. Also Technu is good for washing tools, etc. And you can have the oil on clothes, furniture, pets. Of course the best cure is prevention - learn to recognize it and stay away. I can spot it easily now and often point it out to customers when I find it in their yards. It can be killed with Roundup but it is still poisonous for a long time (even years) after it is dead. The oil is very potent - it is measured in micrograms (millionths of a gram) and is invisible. It is contained in the roots, leaves and stems.<p>When I was a kid I had it so bad my eyes were swollen shut. I've had it continuosly since April, but it is pretty much just a minor irritation, probably since I watch out for it and I understand how it works and clean up my skin after being around it. I have this fantasy that someday I will be immune to it.<p>And since we're on the subject, a funny story:<p>When I started mowing in April, I saw what I thought was poison ivy in a back yard. Then I noticed a 12-foot tall &quot;poison ivy tree&quot; and I thought, wait a minute, poison ivy doesn't grow as a tree, I better ask someone about this. So I was in a feed store and mentioned it. The guy said he was an expert and I could bring him some to identify. So I took in a sample in a plastic bag. He says, no that's not poison ivy. I said why isn't it? He said it doesn't look like it, it doesn't have 5 leaves. Then he called over someone else who said, no that's not poison ivy. I said well what is it then? They looked for a book and couldn't find it. They said there are many plants that look just like poison ivy. Later I was in a hardware store and asked if anyone was an expert on poison ivy. Sure, Leroy is, bring it in. So I bring in the bag, he takes it out, puts it in his hand and looks at it. He says, no, that's not poison ivy. Now I'm really getting confused so I take it to a nursery. An old man first explains that there are many plants that look just like poison ivy, such as Virginia creeper. He then takes the sample out of the bag, lays it on the counter. He says he doesn't think its poison ivy. Then he looks in a book and finds a picture that looks exactly like it. Then a woman comes over and scolds him thoroughly for putting the poison ivy on the counter.<p>Later I educated myself on the Internet (the links in the previous post are excellent). Of course this was poison ivy. It is very widespread in Oklahoma. It does grow in shrubs, as well as vines on the ground and vines in trees. It can be several inches in diameter. The &quot;tree&quot; I saw was actually a vine inside a cyclone fence which kept going up from there. There are actually no other plants that look anything like it and few other plants (I think) with 3 leaflets. Virginia creeper or creeping charlie has 5 leaves - it is a vine but otherwise doesn't look like poison ivy, especially since poison ivy is identified by 3 leaves - &quot;Leaflets three, let it be&quot;. So you have to be careful about listening to &quot;experts&quot;.<p><br>