Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-09-2007, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Suggestions for this house?

Here is a house that I am building that is located near a lake, I am somewhat limited on what I can spend for landscaping ( I will be doing all of the installation). I would appriciate some input on what should be planted in terms of foundations plantings along with the possiblity of maybe a small bed or two. Maybe a queen palm. Are there any low cost landscaping design software out there or is it all junk?

What are some ideas ? thanks
Attached Images

Roll Tide Roll
Old 11-09-2007, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Design software doesn't help you become a designer. You can have Prolandscape, but if you don't know a whole lot about plant characteristics and sizes, you will be wasting your time. Go find a bood at Barnes and Nobels that teaches some of the basic theorys to landscape design and a book that tells what different plants need and how big they grow. Start there and you will be amazed at how much better off you are. I use Prolandscape and get good results out of it, but i have also done a great deal of research on design and have a pritty decent plant background. you need to start somewhere with this. This is the second time in a week that you have put a picture of a house on here and basically asked someone else to design your work. If you don't have the time to work on this and want to jump right in, then find a local designer and ask them what they charge for a design and pass the cost onto the customer.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES View Post
Design software doesn't help you become a designer. You can have Prolandscape, but if you don't know a whole lot about plant characteristics and sizes, you will be wasting your time. Go find a bood at Barnes and Nobels that teaches some of the basic theorys to landscape design and a book that tells what different plants need and how big they grow. Start there and you will be amazed at how much better off you are. I use Prolandscape and get good results out of it, but i have also done a great deal of research on design and have a pritty decent plant background. you need to start somewhere with this. This is the second time in a week that you have put a picture of a house on here and basically asked someone else to design your work. If you don't have the time to work on this and want to jump right in, then find a local designer and ask them what they charge for a design and pass the cost onto the customer.
First of all this is the first time I have posted a picture of this house, so get your facts straight before you start lecturing me about landscaping. All I was thinking about was some suggestions, I used to have a full time landscaping company and I did a lot of landscape construction in two different states. I am not looking for someone here to design a landscape for the house I built, let alone some expert that has been in business only 4 years. You might want to try to read the whole post next time.thanks

Roll Tide Roll

Last edited by SouthernYankee; 11-09-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If it were me and their were no deed requirements I'd spend my whole budget to prep that soil to undo all the compaction and damage by the builder. Then I would put down lots of mulch and just have a front yard perennial garden. You can spend your spare time walking the lake area and carefully digging up native flowers to naturalize in your front yard.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that a garage door opening or is there going to be a big window/door unit going in?
Old 11-10-2007, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thats all garage door

Roll Tide Roll
Old 11-10-2007, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
If it were me and their were no deed requirements I'd spend my whole budget to prep that soil to undo all the compaction and damage by the builder. Then I would put down lots of mulch and just have a front yard perennial garden. You can spend your spare time walking the lake area and carefully digging up native flowers to naturalize in your front yard.
I second this recommendation. Any successful landscape begins and ends with the soil.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It does not appear that there will be much room for planting once that driveway goes in. Where is the curb cut going to go?
Old 11-10-2007, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Realtime landscape pro is about $100. It's easy and it's fairly professional.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

First off, let me make this point clear. This is in no way directed at you, but something EVERYONE on this site should pay attention. Dropping 1,200 on design software does not make you a good designer. I sometimes design on autocad, and it's way more than the joke of a program pro landscape, but it doesnt make me a good designer.

A good design starts with the site conditions, and what the needs and wants are of the customer.

Kiril made a great point in another thread about sustainability. We all have to think about that. yes, we can continue planting boxwoods, and red tip photenias, but it's not the wisest choice.

I would like to see more of the elevation view of the home, and what materials the builder will be using? All brick? Wood siding, paint color, stucco and thin stone? That is a HUGE must!

By the way the shadows are in that picture, it looks that is a northern facing house. You must use plants that are somewhat shade tolerant so they won't get leggy.

Ferns, abelia, pittosporum, taxus/ podocarpus (yew), ophiopogon, holly ferns, wax myrtles, those are all great dense shade plantings.
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle