Register free!

Old 11-11-2007, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel19 View Post
Have to agree with you on that one SouthernYankee It is getting to be one of those site just just do not care to goto.
My Lawd. After 34 posts you've been able to make a full assessment of Lawnsite. With that kind of snapshot talent you should change your business focus to internet site analysis.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Point made. Just because I am not posted, does not mean I haven't read. .

Triad Landscaping
Fulton, KY

Last edited by Charles; 11-11-2007 at 09:36 AM. Reason: name calling
Old 11-11-2007, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

As long as people don't take things to personally and end up calling them on the phone while they are out to dinner with their firends, and proceed to talk to them for 30 mins while chewing them out, we should all be ok
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 11-11-2007, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwingfield2k View Post
As long as people don't take things to personally and end up calling them on the phone while they are out to dinner with their firends, and proceed to talk to them for 30 mins while chewing them out, we should all be ok
That is bizarre. Good thing it wasn't me cuz their would have been a cussing match for the ages. Get a grip squirrel. this place isn't for thin skinned prima donnas.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:36 AM

Lets get back on the topic
Old 11-11-2007, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ok, so back on topic. I didn't see that you were the builder, and I do understand about warranty deeds and such dictating what the home has to look like. Was it not possible to put the opening to the garage on the left side of the house? I just feel it takes alot of the "homey" feeling of the house away, and makes it seemed alot more "concreted in" if that makes any sense at all.

What kind of brick are you using? What is the mortar application going to look like? Can you post a pdf view of the elevation or something?

I would definately put a bed under that window inbetween the garage and the front door if you can, it will help breakup all the concrete. Be sure to sleeve all the flatwork before you start to pour.
www.eagle-irrigation.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
Old 11-11-2007, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Member

SouthernYankee,
We landscaped a house similar to this last year in Jackson, TN. The concrete on the house we did went all the way to the window. We used decorative planters in that area. Being in Houston, have you ever used a Hoogendorn Holly? We use that in place of green luster, compacta, Boxwood, etc. It's a good foundation plant and does not get over 3'x3' and can be trimmed smaller than that. With red brick going on it maybe some Natchez white crapes on each side. I would only do one layer of planting to save money and space.

Use to live in Humble,TX

Triad Landscaping
Fulton, KY
Old 11-11-2007, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is it a spec house or are you building it for yourself? If it were a spec house I would just do bermuda sod, irrigation, system, and really spend the money on the plant material. I don't think I would go with palms if it is a brick house... I think stucco and palms make more sense. But I would think some mature trees and corner piece shrubery that was tree farm grown would really set the place off.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would anchor the corners with a Holly and keep it trimmed and maybe Indian Hawthornes as the shrubs in front of the home, I do agree, spend some bucks on amending the soil for the planting area as well as the sod area, add some beds for seasonal color as well and make the beds curved and not some straight line. Good luck S.Y.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what was suggested or along what lines you were thinking...

But if I had things my way there would be very little if any of all that fancy landscaping and horse crap, I'd make all of that pure 100% LAWN and put all my energy into that and it would look beautiful and then I would laugh at all the folks with all their fancy schmancy little petunias and crap and mulch beds with plastic anti-weed liners and trees that grow BIG and drop a LOT of leaves and all that what have you that costs more time and energy than a square foot of land is worth 100 years from now.

I'd make all of it a LAWN, and I mean class A+ L.A.W.N.!
It's not as low maintenance as you might think, a beautiful lawn takes some doing too, but at least it's the only thing to worry about.
It still looks good, if properly done, a thick lush criss-cross striped turf could easily be the envy of the neighborhood, not even a pink flower to disturb the harmony, crisply edged or trimmed.
Walkway sure, back porch cool, and you need a driveway and a mailbox but beyond that I'm talking LAWN all the way.
Sprinkler system optional but I would consider it in this case, now or never.

But that's just me.

Last edited by topsites; 11-14-2007 at 04:07 PM.