Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-11-2007, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Gehl ct now available with presurized cabs

i was looking at the gehl site and they now have a "generation II" cab that is pressurized.
i wonder if i can retrofit mine.

http://www.gehl.com/const/prodpg_ctl.html
Old 11-11-2007, 01:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup. Mustang is the same.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The sealing of the cab is a given but how do they actually pressurize it so that dust does not migrate in the cab?
Old 11-11-2007, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I would presume the air duct fan(s) supplying the cab create a slightly higher pressure than atmospheric pressure.....thus "pressurizing" the cab and causing any leakage to go from the inside out.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I
Quote:
would presume the air duct fan(s) supplying the cab create a slightly higher pressure than atmospheric pressure.....thus "pressurizing" the cab and causing any leakage to go from the inside out.
That would make sense but how is the question.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

But the pressure that builds up has to escape, all airplanes have a large hole to let the excess pressure go somewhere, MythBusters did a gun and airplane stunt once that busted the myth.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 11-11-2007, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Fan blade design and pitch can be set to develop a positive pressure on the discharge of the fan. I would bet we're talking a very slight positive pressure and the pressure doesn't continue to build (add to itself) due to limitations and inherent losses of the fan as well as probable cab leakage. It would
only require a slightly positive cab pressure to keep the dust out.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddva View Post
Fan blade design and pitch can be set to develop a positive pressure on the discharge of the fan.
Ummm, for any pump to work, be it an air pump, oil pump, water pump, or just a fan, there has to be a pressure differential across it. That what makes the fluid (air) move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddva View Post
I would bet we're talking a very slight positive pressure and the pressure doesn't continue to build (add to itself) due to limitations and inherent losses of the fan as well as probable cab leakage. It would
only require a slightly positive cab pressure to keep the dust out.
After visiting the web site, it kinda looks like a lot of hype and trying to jump on the CAT bandwagon... using CAT's buzz to sell Gehl's barely rebranded Takeuchi loaders. If you read between the lines, it sounds like they put a little extra weatherstripping on the door and rigged it so you can pull in outside air only through the fan, thus "pressurizing" the cab. Only if the filter isn't super good, you'll be sucking in dust too. And what happens when it is 105 degrees out? Pull in outside air only and try to cool it down to a pleasant temp? You can recirculate the inside air to get colder temps, just like "Max A/C" on your car. But then you're not "pressurized" anymore. Maybe I'm just a cynic but it sounds like these guys are just trying to get a few sales on CAT's coat tails with something "engineered" in somebody's driveway with some duct tape and rubber gasket material.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiteSolutions View Post
Ummm, for any pump to work, be it an air pump, oil pump, water pump, or just a fan, there has to be a pressure differential across it. That what makes the fluid (air) move.

After visiting the web site, it kinda looks like a lot of hype and trying to jump on the CAT bandwagon... using CAT's buzz to sell Gehl's barely rebranded Takeuchi loaders. If you read between the lines, it sounds like they put a little extra weatherstripping on the door and rigged it so you can pull in outside air only through the fan, thus "pressurizing" the cab. Only if the filter isn't super good, you'll be sucking in dust too. And what happens when it is 105 degrees out? Pull in outside air only and try to cool it down to a pleasant temp? You can recirculate the inside air to get colder temps, just like "Max A/C" on your car. But then you're not "pressurized" anymore. Maybe I'm just a cynic but it sounds like these guys are just trying to get a few sales on CAT's coat tails with something "engineered" in somebody's driveway with some duct tape and rubber gasket material.
I agree the word pressized is just that(more or less a word! Cat has used that word on there dozer cabs way back when.Mainly like you described it.It is a combination of the fan sucking in fresh air from outside,and the tightness of the sealed cab.

It has more to do with the tightness of the cab then anything! how well it is sealed from the dust getting in.

The c series cab is super from what i saw.Very well sealed and no gaps between cab and frame and other places.The cab looked to be build as a complete unit(unibody) from the rest of the machine.Making it completely sealed.

Thats my take!!!!!! and i have and have had Cat dozer with pressized cab.Believe me it is more to do with the the tightness and how they are built,sealed, then the fan system.Good luck
Old 11-12-2007, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The Takeuchi cab leaks between the upper cab and the body.
The Takeuchi door leaks very little.
It also pulls air from the outside for the AC.