Register free!

Old 11-13-2007, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Best Digital Imaging Set Up?

I'd like to take a digital photo of a customer's house once I have torn out the shrubs, upload the photo into a computer, use a high quality landscape design program, and print a rendering of the prospective new landscape to hand to the customer - all from the cab of the truck.

The question is what hardware and software combinations would be best for the task? Are any of you doing this now?

Help!
Old 11-14-2007, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thats what i do except for thr from the truck part that would require a portable printer (around $300)
that being said your budget dictates how far you can go. bear in mind i am not a veteren but i have ideas. iusually print up a nice package with photos and estimate/contract
and any decent program should allow you to remove the shrubs from the photo. i will say the day after thanksgiving the moment the doors open a staples you can get a good laptop for a really good price but you better be first through the door
Old 11-14-2007, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe Pro Landscape to be the best software that fits your requirements, but digital imaging is no way to design beds, borders or landscapes. Imaging should be used as a presentation tool, not a design tool. Perspective is very difficult to determine even with Pro Landscapes newest innovation, true 3D fly around. The imaging works great to get your ideas across, but nothing beats a well designed plan view for spacing, determining what is needed and how many and for installing a well designed planting. You also do not have to wait until you have performed the demolition or removal with imaging software. You have tools in the program which allow you to remove, replace or change existing features of the project. You can get the photos when you go out there for the initial visit and design at your leisure. If you want this for quick presentations, the laptop will be a better tool than the printer. There are many features in Pro Landscape that allow you to have the plants grow, seasons change, add lighting and make the scene look like night, change the rendering mode so the images have a different look and even a decent true 3D fly around. These feature are best viewed in real time if you need that to sell your client and then print a photo so they can share with a spouse, neighbor or competing landscaper and keep around to compare your installation to.

I prefer to take my photos and measurements and return back to my studio to take the time to come up with a design. Then the images can be emailed or printed and included in a well thought out design presentation, including a concept plan.

How about plant selection, data sheets and photos for the client as well. Look at Horticopia for that. In combination with your local plant availability lists, Horticopia well enable you to make better plant selections and be innovative with your plantings.

Kirk
Old 11-14-2007, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you gentlemen!

Thats valuable information...

Anyone else?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've pretty much decided to go with Ideaspectrum's product, Landscaping PRO mostly due to it's simplicity and price. I will need to purchase a new laptop though as it requires a lot of CPU speed, ram and video cards which my current computer does not have. Here comes the next question.....

which laptop do you guys recommend for this application?