Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-16-2007, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
First of all Id really like to see a northern guy come down here and pick up 50 yards in 2 months. Half you guys have no clue how intense our lawn care is here.
C'mon guy, don't insult my intellegnece. Any good business owner can accumulate that amount of accounts in a feasable time. I'm not saying 2 months, but within a season no problem.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 11-16-2007, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For some reason I think the "How Much IS My Business Worth" and "Thinking About Getting OUt" Are going to be popular topics this winter. Just a thought...
Old 11-16-2007, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

price of your used equipment / add it all up / that is what your business is worth. sorry . if you had 4 crews x all equipment and trucks office with employees + commercial contracts and proof of income then you would have a business to sell. not trying to down you i am the same way.
2-TORO Z MASTER'S 25/62 JOHN DEERE 757 -25/60
LESCO Z2 25/60 TORO Z MASTER 19/52 SCAG WB/48
82 CHEVY 4X4 - MEYER'S PLOW- BILLYGOAT LOADER
83 F600- 9INCH DIESEL BRUSH BANDIT CHIPPER
8X24 SHADO MASTER V NOSE ENCLOSED
trailers -6.5X14 - 6.5X16 - 18 FT EQUIPEMET
Old 11-17-2007, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I run solo and I would not really sell my business rather find people who are qualified to take over the jobs.
If I sold to some of the professionals with $10/hr crews around here they would be dropped almost immediately by the clients anyway.
As I get ready to quit - the challenge is to find someone who can handle these accounts through my corporation. They get a guaranteed income better than they can find on their own starting out and I get a piece of the action. Most importantly the client continues great service.
Buying into a business that you can do 4k/mo on your own for 3 days a week does have a high appeal to the right person. Don't sell yourself short and don't sell to someone who says "oh, easy money!" You will see your equipment at a lawn sale and your former clients will not even look at you in the grocery store.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think your accounts are worth 4k. One months gross or 10% of gross is what I have paid for accounts.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paponte View Post
C'mon guy, don't insult my intellegnece. Any good business owner can accumulate that amount of accounts in a feasable time. I'm not saying 2 months, but within a season no problem.

C'mon to you to guy. I guess you didnt really read the what I said. The only way you will pick up 50 yards here in 2 months is to lowball. I have been doing this for 16 years in the same area. When eveyone around hers is doing yards for 45-80 a month and I used to charge 150 a month and now I still want 150 a month for these lowball yards like 45-80 a month.

Now I want to see you come here and get the prices I was charging 5 years ago and pick up 50 yards in 2 months. Our season here is year round. And the toipic was in 2 months and you changed it to a whole season in which case I dont know that is cause we work every week here year round.

So therefore a northern guy cant sit here and tell a good company in Florida how to run a business. Its two different mowing areas. The amount of people mowing here is getting way out of hand.
Old 11-17-2007, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

So the prices you are getting are good, which should reflect the work you preform. I don't lowball by any means, it's not my style. I sell my company not my price. Again as far as starting a company in FL and getting established, don't insult my intelligence. As you can read in a couple of posts on here, I have been seriously looking into it for about 2-3yrs now. We know alot of people in the area of interest and do alot of networking as well.

I don't care what type of business it is, it's about being a businessman. Next your gonna tell me that Walt Disney couldn't move to FL and start an amusement park.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 11-17-2007, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Member

that does sound like alot i was thinkink about selling mine with 05 f250crew 06hp 46 triton 07 dixie 60 2 sets of hand held stihl and shindiw. 68 accounts 2 commercials (beach park ,westchase,tampa palms , and lutz ) gross 9200 a month with bank statements to prove by commercial deposits and copy checks 5th year in business insurance good till april for $80k but changed my mind ,because it was built from networking for 5 years unlike what to be believed you can't just pick up 50 accounts in 2 months well not at least not good long term customers it's to competitive down here there is 3 good size lawn companys on my street alone
Old 11-17-2007, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

80k? you would have never gotten that
Old 11-18-2007, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

D&J you are right this whole post I was trying to say that you cant pick up that many accounts in 2 months without lowballing.
This area is way, way, way out of control in the competitive area.
And I was never trying to insult "Paponte's" intelligence.

D&J I have seen you around and your flyers and you and I are in the most competitive areas of Tampa. That is why we no longer concentrate in those areas.

Poponte good luck coming down here I just would not think of coming to Tampa area. We have been here for 16 years and I dont care how much networking you do it will take a long time to get good prices.
I have a network so huge that we can discontinue lawn service and go into the entire rewholsaling. Every day we have lawn and landscape people calling where to get this and that. I might as well start charging for the information.

Alot my of income is servicing other lawn care guys. Its very lucrative.