Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2000, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

How sharp should your blades be? When you buy new blades they really are not very sharp. Do most of you sharpin new blades before you use them?<br>
Old 02-18-2000, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Member

ah have nevah sharpened mah blades? Mah mower is old an ah doesn't knows if th blades haf evah been sharpened an it seems t cut jest fine.<p>----------<br>Cletus<br>mow-4-money<br>
Old 02-18-2000, 01:45 PM

I like sharp blades. I have never bought a new blade that I didn't have to sharpen before we used it. We use a RBG blade grinder by Wall Enterprises. We put a set of sharp blades on every morning, and have changed them before the day was over if we were in bad conditions. Two days after you mow you can tell a big difference if the blade was sharp or not. It will leave a white'ish cast if they are not sharp. And will be darker green if they're sharp. And don't think Cletus was joking either. Some of the blades I have seen at the mower shop on other Companys equipment is unbelieveable, looks more like Bush Hog blades, well used Bush Hog blades.
Old 02-18-2000, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard it siad that your lawn blades should be sharp like an axe. Not razor sharp. Just a thought.
Old 02-18-2000, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Mow Ed is right if the blade is to sharp, the first stone that gets picked up will easily break the sharpe skinny edge of the blade off
Old 02-18-2000, 06:22 PM
Ken

PLS, You mentioned the RBG grinder by WALL. are there any other suggestions on blade sharpeners/grinders? I've seen several mentions of blade sharpness, but not much discussion. Do you allways use OEM blades? How do I know if they are high lift or low lift? If they are not marked as to specific use how can I tell them apart visually? Again thanks to all who respond...
Old 02-18-2000, 09:03 PM
Banned

Low lift:not much angle at back of blade.<br>High lift: larger angle at back of blade.<br>IMHO a blade can't be too sharp.
Old 02-18-2000, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

curlawngreen,<br>Cutting thos tough southern grasses takes a sharper blade than som of the softer blade northern grasses.<p>I really think it makes a difference what type of grass you are mowing. That will determine how critical is it to have sharp blades.
Old 02-18-2000, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have always sharpened blades with a 4 1/2&quot; angle grinder, being careful not to take the temper out of the blades. Then when I am done, I take a hand file & put a tiny flat on the edge, rounding it off a hare. Reasoning was told to me that a super sharp blade wears faster because the thin cutting edge is vulnerable to twigs, small rocks, whatever may be hiding in the yard. If you give it a small flat to begin with, you will keep THAT edge for a longer period of time. <br>Seems to work well for me over the past few yrs.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>
Old 02-18-2000, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Smitty is right on that one. When you sharpen a chisel for instance if it is so sharp that you don't see a tiny flat it will ware very fast you always have to take a little (barly noiticeable) off for it to stay sharp longer.<br>Thats the first thing they taught me when I worked in a Machine shop, too many years ago.Just a hair as they say.<p>----------<br>Ken...Lightcap's Landscape Service<br>