Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-18-2000, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Member

how do you guys feel about small trucks, i'm just starting so i'll only be pulling a couple of walk behinds, and maybe be doing some light landscaping, i've got a ranger right now, but it's a 4 cylinder and as far as power goes, forget about it, so i would at least get a v-6 long bed 4 x 4. My thinking is gas is getting so damn expensive, i could cut my gas bill if i could cope with a small rig. any help is greatly appreciated
Old 02-18-2000, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well i use a 4.0 liter explorer 4x4 and it had done very well for me, i would like to get a full size truck, i just started and i figured i would spend the money i hadon equipment and then get a nice truck i feel that as long as it gets your equipment to the job it ok, dont get my wrong i dream of the day i have a big 4 door diesel but for now im very gratefull to have what i have i read on hear people starting with alot less and they made it so it gives me inspiration......thanks everybody, this site has really given me a good boost, for some reason i have been putting alot more care into my work, i am seeing what it has done for all of you
Old 02-18-2000, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

it seems to me that if what you are pulling with will pull safely, including stopping, with a full load of equipment, you should be ok.<p>I am a small operator and you dance with those that brung you...OOPS WRONG STORY!!! ...you pull with what you got 'till you can pull with better.<p>I will not be surprised if someone doesn't post here that if you aren't pulling with what they are using, that you are not a professional in this business.<p>for me, when I'm ready for a diesel dualley, I'll get one. 'till then I got 2 4x4's to pull with but my favorite is an E-150 ford with a 300 six banger that'll lug any hill in town with a full trailer.<p>good luck, the best you can do should be fine!<p>GEO
Old 02-18-2000, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Member

i just started lawncare last summer,i started with my old ford ranger....what a nightmare,no power ..hard to stop..breaking down always...so i bought a F350 and now i can pull anything and plow in the winter,i know it cost alot when you are just starting out but with knowing it will start and get the job done i think it will be a lot cheaper in the long run...so if you can swing it get somthing with the power right from the start.if you cant go gentle on those rangers,ive owened about three of them and when i really needed it to do somthing it FAILED!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2000, 03:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

From my experience Isuzu make the best light<br>trucks.They are tough as nails,go hard and<br>being diesel are cheap to run.Maybe a good<br>used 2 tonner would suit?
Old 02-19-2000, 04:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started with a v-6 Dodge and worked fine for me,but now went up to a 2500.I think it depends on where you live,will you be going up and down hills often....Do you plan to plow if so you want to go BIGGER WITH MORE POWER as Tim would say. good luck <p>----------<br>John <br>
Old 02-19-2000, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

southside, that might be fine for Phillipenes or Australia! Good luck finding one in the States. :-)<br>
Old 02-20-2000, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lazer, Surely you have Isuzu or even <br>Mitsubishi light trucks over there?<br>After all Isuzu is owned by GM
Old 02-20-2000, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would suggest you buy a toyota.1 their reliable good on fuel and strong.I know that some of you will read this and say that toyota trucks would not have any power.But I beg to differ.I have a freind you buys toyota trucks(4*4's)and slaps huge tires on them and does no modifacations to other than the tires and takes them off roading.I have have seen him go farther that two fullsize chevy trucks.He was able to go throught 1 and 1/2 feet of mud no problem.And if you still think I am nuts look at any off-roading magisine and you will soon see that toyota trucks are your best choice for a small truck.I personally use ford full size trucks but if I had to buy a small truck,toyota would be at the top of my list.<p>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 02-20-2000, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Member

bw,<br>Last year I bought a 91' Sierra 1500 off of the local Hertz car lot for $2300.00.<br>It had been used as a fleet vehicle and I believe it was wholesaled to the car lot. The cab was painted white the bed blue and it had a red stripe from the top of the cab down to the rocker panels, not a pretty sight. It came with a 4.3 liter V6 that had 189,000 miles on it. I took it down to Maaco paint got a $500.00 paint job (color: white) Put my magnetic signs on it and it looks just as good as a new one going down the road. Total repairs on it last year were $89.00 for water pump, installed, $50.00 to rod radiator and $350.00 for a new set of tires. I've also taken it on a long trip and use it to haul my 3000 lb camper and haven't had any problems. Even if the motor blew up today with no more than I've got in it, it would be worth replacing or rebuilding. As for performance I live in Alabama and have very few hills to climb but the ones I do it does ok. I would like a little more power but it's not really necessary.<br>Gross vehicle weight with trailer and equip. is 7100 lbs. Hope this helps. Good Luck! <br>