Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-12-2007, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Christmas Lights On Ridgeline

Just wondering how everyone is installing c9's on rooflines with asphalt shingles? I have usually used the clips you can get about anywhere but have been wondering if there is a better way than having to pry up the ridge line shingles to get the tab under?

Has anyone tried clear silicone?
Thanks!
Old 11-13-2007, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see alot of people staple them. I tried it but I don't want the liability. I have used clips, when I do it, I don't put my clip directly in the center of the ridge shingle. If you do get it unstuck you will tear it. If you stay on the side of the shingle you can get under it without tearing it. I think it is a pain. You have to be really careful to get your lights spaced evenly also.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

3" putty knife / paint scraper
Old 11-16-2007, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a good question.

The easiest place is on the edge of the rige shingles. That way you can maintain the spacing easily and attaches pretty quick. However it seems it would obscure the view of the light from the opposite side.

If you try to get it close to the center, its harder to slip in and you have to go to the nearest shingle edge which can mess up your spacing.

so what it the best way?

The only person I've seen staple is Chevy Chase!
Old 11-16-2007, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

shingle tabs with one tab sticking out and one in the shingle. They line up nicely and can be seen from both sides.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Question

Here in FL the tabs are glued down for hurricane resistance, if you pry it up I would assume you have to shoot roof adhesive in when removing? To do a gable would you use the tab edge or I was thinking of stainless screw eyes and a dab of white paint to hide.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Got mine up yesterday....I used the regular tabs to hold the lights and used the putty knife idea to help get them under when needed. For the most part it went pretty easy. There were several that were stuck down pretty good but the putty knife made it easier without tearing up the shingles.
I was afraid it would be harder than it was since this is a 2 year old roof but it wasn't bad.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm still without a solution. Below is a pic of the house I just did. I have a putty knife but I cannot get the plast tab under a shingle near to top/center of the ridge. It wants to tear the shingle if you get anywhere near it.

The way I did it here worked because this house is on a dogleg turn of the street.

Even if you could get it to go into the edge of the shingle you loose your 1ft spacing.

BTW, my phonecam was mistakenly set on some effect so it's a bad picture.
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2007, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mine went under every other shingle. It is probably around 9-10" instead of 1ft but it looks nice and you would never know unless you look for it. Your shingles there may have been glued down more or something I dont know? Have you tried clear silicone? I was going to test this to see if it came off ok but never got around to it. I thought about siliconing the tabs then the next day set the lights.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We do every other shingle as well. But, we dont use those style tabs so I'm not sure how thick the plastic, so they may be more difficult to get into the shingle. I know the all in one tabs we use are harder to get in the shingles