Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-19-2007, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

New but have been around.....

Let me introduce myself. My name is Jon and I'm a Chief in the US Navy. I have some experience with landscape maintenance while I was stationed in Va. I had a small business I ran in order to make a couple extra bucks each month. Long story short, I'm currently stationed in Pensacola Fla. When I got here I had every intention of cutting more grass but for those who have been here in Pensacola know how many trailers there are loaded with equipment running around NE Fla. I did the math and decided to do something else. I got into pressure washing. I did that for about a year when my job made me do a lot of travel which forced me to drop my business. I don't claim to be an expert in either landscape maintenance or pressure washing but I know enough to feel comfortable taking on jobs. I've read some of the posts in the pressure washing thread and cringe when I see some of the things being posted. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I can tell you the best chemicals, tools/equipment, and techniques to use. For now the only thing I'll say is, DON'T USE Chlorox!!!! For some strange reason, Chlorox tends to kill turf grass. Go to your local pool supply store and get liquid chlorine. I know Chlorox has, as it's active ingredient, chlorine but there's something else in Clorox that kills grass. Pool chlorine won't kill grass but I know from experience that it will kill tomato plants and other delicate flowers and such..... I can take pictures of my system and my equipment to help answer any questions you may have.
I retire from the Navy in two-three years. I have a couple ideas what I would like to do when I'm finally forced to grow-up but it's too soon to make the decision. Starting another LCO operation is not out of the question. I really enjoy that kind of work. I've worked on and operated heavy equipment for the last 17+ years. I realize though that I have a lot to learn as it relates to horticulture. I'll have the money available upon retirement to get a full set-up of equipment and retirement income to keep me and my family fed while I get it going.
I suppose that's enough for now....wait. I'm a very passionate political observer and am always looking for a good debate. I realize though that there is a time and place for that sort of thing so unless provoked you won't have any trouble from me