Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-20-2007, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For the DOT #, it depends on the weight your towing. I have my new truck as both a work/semi-personal truck. I know of several townships with-in my work range that don't allow any type of commercial vehicle to be parked on your property unless it is there while labor is being performed. (With the exception of rental and moving trucks/equip.) Personally, I think a law like that is against the constitution as long as the onwer parks it in his/her own driveway.
Its my vehicle, on my land that I pay taxes on so why should I have to listen to you about not liking it. (As long as its not an eyesore and blah blah blah.) JMO
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 11-20-2007, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

^ there argument would probably be that the truck is owned by the business and unless the business own your home, then you cant park it there..i dont see a problem with it either, but guess they are trying to keep large dump trucks and other construction type vehicles out of site

CLEAR-CUT Lawn & Landscape
Old 11-20-2007, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I decided not to do signs mainly because I am too busy. If I had good employees and was able to keep growing, I would letter my trucks. I would probably paint them the same color too. It would look professional. But it is crazy to go after new business and advertise when I have to turn most of them away. I have enough people stop me anyway. I don't see a lot of business coming from that. Just a professional appearance to the community.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't want "them" to find me..........if "they" see lettering on the truck "they" will follow
Old 11-20-2007, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Member

DOT # is required for commercial vehicles with a GVW greater than 10,001 lbs
Old 11-20-2007, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
Reason my truck is not lettered is I drive like a total idiot most of the time, and I don't want people knowing who I am. Don't want to be drivin and have my cell phone ring with someone saying "hey a$$clown, you just cut me off" or "hey idiot my son just watched you run over our cat".
LOL!!! I'm exactly the same!! I do stupid $hit all the time and I don't want people calling me or seeing the truck in my driveway and telling my parents I'm a dummy lol.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Company name & phone number are requirements in my state if one applies pesticides. There are some out there that are unmarked....but here, that's illegal. Mow & snow guys don't need any name on their trucks here, but it's nice to advertise one's business.

If homeowner associations don't allow commercial vehicles, how do their homes get built? What if they want Direct TV, new furniture, or if they move? Ordering pizza?

If I were a customer, I would expect a truck with company logos, cuz it lends credibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
I've seen a sizeable number of LCO in my area who do not have Company Sign or info of any kind on their truck or trailer. Even on commercial accounts. It's very obvious to me that they are doing this for a living. Is there any valid reason NOT to have your company sign on your truck or trailer?

All I can think of is the following:

They live in an area where the home owner association doesn't allow commercial vehicles parked on the street or driveway.

Company sign would require commercial vehicle & trailer licensing.

They are not remotely legitimate cash only un-licensed operator.

Personal privacy is of the utmost importance to the owner.

Any others?
Old 11-20-2007, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by landscaper22 View Post
I decided not to do signs mainly because I am too busy. But it is crazy to go after new business and advertise when I have to turn most of them away. I have enough people stop me anyway.
This is my reason.

I used to have signs, and I used to advertise in a local paper back in the '80s. Sure they got me going, but once your name is out there and the quality of your work shows, advertising is merely a write-off.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 11-20-2007, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Company name & phone number are requirements in my state if one applies pesticides. There are some out there that are unmarked....but here, that's illegal. Mow & snow guys don't need any name on their trucks here, but it's nice to advertise one's business.

If homeowner associations don't allow commercial vehicles, how do their homes get built? What if they want Direct TV, new furniture, or if they move? Ordering pizza?

If I were a customer, I would expect a truck with company logos, cuz it lends credibility.
Obviously they allow vehicles that are there to work. What they dont want is a homeowner to keep a commercial lettered vehicle at their house.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, much like a couple earlier posts, what about if a friend of yours asks to borrow your truck or trailer for other reasons? Then he drives like an idiot, or even gets pulled over and people drive by and sees your vehicle pulled over by the cops, how good does that look?