Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-20-2007, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
Reason my truck is not lettered is I drive like a total idiot most of the time, and I don't want people knowing who I am. Don't want to be drivin and have my cell phone ring with someone saying "hey a$$clown, you just cut me off" or "hey idiot my son just watched you run over our cat".
lol same here........
Old 11-20-2007, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Im booked....all the work I can handle. I dont want somebody calling me. I get all the referrals I can handle too. Just no need to have a sign at this stage in the game.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMow View Post
Well, much like a couple earlier posts, what about if a friend of yours asks to borrow your truck or trailer for other reasons? Then he drives like an idiot, or even gets pulled over and people drive by and sees your vehicle pulled over by the cops, how good does that look?
Sounds like you may know the answer to this from experience?
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 11-20-2007, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear-Cut View Post
^ there argument would probably be that the truck is owned by the business and unless the business own your home, then you cant park it there..i dont see a problem with it either, but guess they are trying to keep large dump trucks and other construction type vehicles out of site
Some areas of Dade County have signs that say overnight parking of 1 ton trucks/ comm. vehicles prohibited. Mine falls in the 1st case. County judge solved that problem not too long ago for all non-comm vehicles by ruling it illegal for the county to enforce.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My wife had all of our lettering taken off after she kept getting calls from different women wanting to me to come on mow their LAWNS lol....its was amazing how many calls per week I was getting from women asking me out. I have been flagged down, followed to my next stop which was scary. Guess theres somethings about a man that doesnt mind getting dirty....but I can just imagine if I had started this business when I was single.....who knows...guess thats why everything happens for a reason....We will start back lettering everything next year, but my truck will still not have anything.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsquickcuts View Post
My wife had all of our lettering taken off after she kept getting calls from different women wanting to me to come on mow their LAWNS lol....its was amazing how many calls per week I was getting from women asking me out. I have been flagged down, followed to my next stop which was scary. Guess theres somethings about a man that doesnt mind getting dirty....but I can just imagine if I had started this business when I was single.....who knows...guess thats why everything happens for a reason....We will start back lettering everything next year, but my truck will still not have anything.

That makes me want to letter every vehicle I own!

A bunch of websites that all forward to www.FargoSnow.com

where are the real business growth experts? I know you are here reading and keeping tabs on the industry. PM me...
Old 11-21-2007, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiyDave View Post
The only time I ever got a negative call because of signs on the trailer was because of a parking dispute. I had parked in a lawyer's parking lot, next to the 7-11 store I was going into early one morning (There were downed power lines in the 7-11 p-lot). It was a good area, so I left the NPR diesel idling. When I came out there was this prick lawyer screaming into his cell phone, he had my keys in his hands, and was saying into the Phone that he was going to hold my truck until I, the owner came down to get it. He got the surprise of his life, when I tapped him on the shoulder, said I was the owner, and to give me the keys NOW or I would call the police on him and charge HIM with possession of stolen property! It was priceless to have seen the look on his face as he about shat his pants, looking at the size of me, between him and any escape. He dropped the keys on ground and RAN back to his office.
You would probably appreciate a situation from about 30 years ago, when I was 19.

I had a very tiny car - a Datsun F-10 two door. Was riding with a few friends.

Going the speed limit, some moron rides my bumper for like 5 blocks, so we turned a corner to get him off and let him by. He turns the same way, so we pulled to the side, parked and my friend flipped him off.

He then pulls over in front of us, walks to my window and grabs me by the neck.

(by the way, the guy is short - like 5' 10" and about 40 years old)

So I open my door and return the neck grab about 8 times harder since I swing a 32 oz. framing hammer all day and have Popeye forearms. Then my 3 friends get out and box this guy in, by standing on all 4 sides. None of us is less than 6' 3" tall.

My friends start screaming stuff like "knock the bloody crap out of this guy" and "beat him into submission" and "cripple his a$$".

I forgot to look for urine on the gravel, but his attitude sure changed "oh..I'm so sorry, you guys have a great evening"

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 11-21-2007, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

- I don't want just anyone to have my phone number, mine is an exclusive niche service for a few customers. I like to think it's because I'm good, but plainly put it's because I like things to be a certain way and so I can't help most folks because I'm just very picky.
That summarizes it, I do as much as I can NOT to attract strangers while I'm working on my paying customer's yard, their money buys my time, you can NOT afford to interrupt me.

- +$800 insurance, for an owner operator it sure is.
> On that note I don't need to hear about my driving either since I believe in the law of gross tonnage.

- I dislike strangers coming up to me while I'm working, that puts me at their mercy, signs tend to further bring this on.
> I feel like I've lost control, once I stop in midst of what I'm doing and turn off the machine so I can ignore my paying customer to attend to the needs of someone I've never met then I might as well bend over, what it feels like to me.

- It's corporate advertising, and the real reason corporations do this is to keep their drivers in line, because it lowers corporate insurance rates to have that on there because that ID's their drivers on the road, but don't tell nobody I said that.

- One more reason for someone to hang on me the fact that I've got commercial vehicles parked at my house in a residential zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.TX View Post
I have another reason..... When some moron STEALS YOUR MAGNETIC SIGNS ... happend twice about 6 yrs ago... i decided i didnt want magnetic signs and now as of recently i just put signs on my trailer.
I doubt they stole it, I lost more than my fair share years ago, at speeds as low as 40 mph all it takes is a cross breeze... I can't remember how many I lost but I kept wondering wth, wouldn't I hear or see it? Only once did I see one come off, it happens really fast and it's almost completely silent even with the window open I almost never heard it.
Once they hit the road it's almost guaranteed they're done for, I turned around fast as I could and I don't think anyone hit it but it was all cracked.
Magnetic signs are pieces of crap.

That and the weather, heat kills magnets too.

Last edited by topsites; 11-21-2007 at 01:37 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
Reason my truck is not lettered is I drive like a total idiot most of the time, and I don't want people knowing who I am. Don't want to be drivin and have my cell phone ring with someone saying "hey a$$clown, you just cut me off" or "hey idiot my son just watched you run over our cat".
Ditto!!! I even drive my other truck to my night job at the police dept so nobody puts 2 and 2 together
Old 11-21-2007, 02:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsquickcuts View Post
I actually had a woman that worked at a commercial property that got my number from my truck. She sent me several text messages wanting to "trade out" for payment for my services. LOL