Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-21-2007, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Please help when it rains!!!

We do about 100 house a year with lights and about quarter of them when it rains very hard I have to reset the outlet why is that? The outlet is not over loaded and I use no cheap lights all commercial I feel bad when it happens but is it my fault?
Old 11-21-2007, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here I'll get this one guys.

Are you serious?
Old 11-21-2007, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how do you get up to 100houses a year and not know why the electric is tripping? Come on man! Water + electric don't mix.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The question was answered...

The gfi's are tripping because water and electric don't mix.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Push the little button on the outlet to reset the GFI that tripped
And yes ask a six year old. Christmas Lighting 101.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Please guys, how about a real answer- The GFCI outlets will trip with as little as .1 amp resistance is detected in a ground fault situaltion. It monitors the amount of electricity hitting the ground that goes back to the breaker panel. With moisture, electrical conductivity to the ground is greatly increased. C-9 sockets in particular, with thier open socket design, are prone to cause GFCI outlets to pop in rain. water enters the socket, ( or any open outlet on cords) which actually is not such a big deal, but when the water makes continuous contact between the fault ( water in the socket) and the ground ( that copper spike in the ground that runs to the panel) it interrupts ( that button pop) the circuit. Thus the magic of the Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt outlet.

when things dry out, you can reset the button. we do this constantly. This is why I use Photo-cell timers as much as possible- no clocks to reset. I've also found that loading cords and outlets to less than 8 amps, really cuts down on the resets. We now reccomend new double gang outlets ( one 20 amp circuit for each gang) just for seasonal lighting on all homes we do just for that reason. The great Christmas Light seasons have very little rain, or only rain from 1 am to 3pm. good luck guys, 8 more busy selling days.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've found it helps to tape up all your connections, tag ends and any open bulb sockets on customer provided starands. If you can keep the water out, your less likely to cause a ground fault. The flip side is that if you don't do a good job taping and water does get in, it's going to take a lot longer to dry out...
Old 11-24-2007, 03:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

we've tried it both ways. taping does resist tripping more, but takes more time, and requires untaping and drying when it does trip. I've found that timewise not taping is better for us. one dry day and you can reset all gfci's. with taping, ususally two days time to do service calls to untape and then restart.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess I didn't know it was that common of a problem for rain to cause c7/c9 sockets to ground out when wet. Make sense I guess.

What about dielectric grease in each socket, ever tried that. I mean it instead of tape.