Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2007, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a lot of retaining walls failing around here too. Mostly RR ties type.
What I did was find a good stone guy and just sub it out to him. I've done a few and made some pretty good money doing it.

Im just getting started in LV lighting. I have two jobs lined up. Find a local distributor and see if they can help. I used a local irrigation supply company that sells Cast and other brands. I went to a 1 day hands on seminar where we did and install.

I don't know about ponds but I've done some water features. Real ponds from what I've read and observed is a very specialized service. I got way too many things going in myself but if a customer were to ask for it, I'd go to a supply store and get a reference. Sub it out.

Landscape is what it is. If you don't know what your doing, you'd better have an appetite for learning and a lot of support. Find another landscaper who can help you with questions. Networking is priceless.

that help?
Old 12-04-2007, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't understand the notion that finding things not to do is some kind of a marketing niche.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Lawnscapes Inc. View Post
I am starting a full service LCC
So let's start there. What does that mean? A full service LCC? LCC meaning landscape construction company? And I take full service to mean you want to offer a full range of landscape construction services. Is that correct?

Quote:
and I want to offer "small" Landscaping services. I have seen alot of "blown-out" walls in my area, and don't want to hassle with them.
So this is where you start to throw us off. You want to offer a full range of services, but only "small" services? And apparently retaining walls isn't one of the services you want to offer, ok....

Quote:
I do know ponds....basicly(done 4) and I would like to get into landscape lighting.
Ok. So you know ponds. And are excited about landscape lighting. Gotcha....

Quote:
My question is . Does anyone offer somthing like this, if not, would it be a good Idea?
Ok. Here's where you start to lose me again. You're asking if anyone runs a "full service" landscape construction company who doesn't like to do retaining walls but does like to do ponds and lighting?

Quote:
(geared more toward young homeowners.)
Ok. Here's where you lose me again. How on earth would you gear your business toward young homeowners? You would only advertise in Yuppy Magazine? Or drop flyers on doors that only had a Mazda A3 in the driveway or "Slim Shady" boomin' on the stereo inside? Or maybe you'd go sit in front of all the hot night clubs in town and pass out your card?

Beyond the how, the bigger question is why? Now I don't know much about this business, but in my experience, the younger homeowners don't usually have much expendable cash. They're usually not the ones I would think to go after. I would consider the middle age and older customers to be much more likely to hire someone to do landscaping work. So why market toward young homeowners?

Quote:
p.s. one of my customers children smashed his face off their back yard landscaping wall.....bad!!! this is what prompted me to think of this.
So this kid smashed his face on a retaining wall and that's what got you thinking you should create a "full service" LCC that would focus more toward ponds and lighting? Right, because kids definitely don't ever hurt themselves in ponds. Makes sense.....

Quote:
''"If I a marketing services to a specific group "young homeowners" the kid/faceplant story is a good way to get them away from walls(unless walls are needed erosion control etc.) and a ton cheaper""
Ok. So your idea is to start doing landscaping to young homeowners and when you show up to give the bid and they say, "Yah, so we have this useless front yard. As you can see the yard slopes down from the house to the sidewalk at about a 15% grade. We have a few young kids and we'd like to have a front lawn that is more level so the kids could play. So we'd like a retaining wall installed and then a new lawn put in above it that would be level." And then you would reply, "Oh no! You don't want that! Let me tell you a story! I had this one customer whose kids smashed his face on their retaining wall something fierce. Lemme tell you, it was ugly. Those retaining wall things are dangerous! Your kids will be in for a hurtin' if you install one of those. Instead, I think you should put a pond here and we could also hook up some sweet lighting to make the front yard just glow at night! That's what you want!!!"

So back to your question; "Does anyone offer something like this?"

No. I think it's safe to say you'd be the only one doing stuff like this. And good luck with that.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon

Last edited by JimLewis; 12-05-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I bet this guy has all the confidence in the world now. I'll even bet that he takes all the great advice you guys gave him and destroys the competition.(myself included) I thought this was a website to help each other. Oh well, I guess it may be asking an awful lot of some people on here to help. Dude, offer it all! Don't worry about customer's kids, worry about the money you make.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, I am all for helping people out. My record of doing just that here on lawnsite for the last 8 years is well established.

But when someone comes in the forum with some illogical incomprehensible stuff, how are we supposed to reply?

Yes, this is a forum where people can get help. But if you're under the impression that Lawnsite is a Utopia void of criticism where everyone is just cheery and bubbly I think you're a little misinformed.

Imagine a big cigar lounge with tables and chairs and a bar and 150 people scattered all over the room, discussing business. The people in the room are all landscape contractors and the like. All with varying levels of experience and education but they are mostly all professional and cordial and dressed like business professionals. Then, in storms this new guy through the swinging doors and it's obvious by the way he's dressed and his manner that this guy is a little "different". And he storms in and says, "Howdy everyone! I am new! I was hopin' some of y'all could help me out. I got this idea about talking people out of retaining walls and I want to talk about ponds and lighting and I want to be big but I also want to be small and I also want to work with young people. Anyone here do that? Anyone....anyone???"

Well, most people would just stop and stare, thinking, "What the heck??? Who is this Joker?" Then they'd go back to their drinks and ignore him. A few people might engage the guy and say, "Now you're thinking of doing WHAT?"

That's basically what happened here.

But enough about that. If you're so smart, let's hear your wise advice for the man. You haven't helped answer any of his questions either. What advice do you have? I mean, if it's all about helping and being constructive, let's hear your constructive help....

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 12-05-2007, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@TLCS View Post
Dude, offer it all! Don't worry about customer's kids, worry about the money you make.
Hmmm. By the way Mr. Lewis... How big a boy are ya? and chill out.