Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-21-2000, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Everybody needs to find their own niche in which they are most comfortable. I started out with the shotgun approach but soon found myself in over my head. I now specialize in the smaller (10-20,000 sq ft) city lots since I work solo and I can get a lot of customers in a relatively small geographic area, and they pay the same as larger lots, I dont need to stay all day at a lot, the smaller areas are more suited to one-man operation esp during spring/fall cleanup time, and there isnt much PROFESSIONAL competition since either other companies are scared to venture into the city or they think its &quot;beneath&quot; them not to be kissing rich hiney in the burbs.<p>On another note, I had every intention of converting all my customers to a seasonal-type contract but had last-minute second thoughts and decided to keep them all on a pay-as-you-go system. Its worked well for me in the past. Im good at budgeting so it doesnt matter if I get my money in spurts or evenly distributed. And I dont have to worry about customers micro-managing whether they are getting their moneys worth-they pay for exactly what they get. Snow will be a different story, Im still planning to change next seasons res, snow accts to either seasonal flat-rate or some sort of minimum retainer.<p>Anyone interested in my spring letter go to profile and e-mail me Ill send it to you its in a 27kb .doc file.<p>Bill<p>----------<br>&quot;...half my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.&quot; R.L.<br>
Old 02-21-2000, 03:38 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
Lawnguy make your snow removal account pay<br>your for four &quot;pushes&quot; up front then charge a set rate for any pushes after the forth.
Old 02-21-2000, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Mr Stone thats exactly what I have in mind.<p>Let me know what you thought of my letter.<p>Bill<p>----------<br>&quot;...half my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.&quot; R.L.<br>
Old 02-21-2000, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

hey guys what i was thinking while i was reading your post was. what are there more of rich people, middle class, or poor people ok your answer could be poor ones but how many of those have their lawns cared for? my idea is that the middle class has more people in it , and there the ones with more $ than time. after all they have to work to pay for the house all week long and go on their boat on the weekends when do they have time to mow the yard? they flat out don't want to. rich or high end customers are few and far between and if you don't have that big name that is known in the upper class kingdom your out of there. i compare this to when i was in school any grade. the smart kids got the attention, the middle kids were just there doing what kids do , and the slow or kids that get into trouble alot were rewarded with field trips , for once look to the middle kids ,now the baby boomers (the middle class) for the jobs. and also there are alot more seniors out there now than ever i have found if you treat older people like everyone else they will like you much more than if you treat them like a little kid. i hate it when people try to talk to seniors just as they do a three year old . those older people were your age once and know alot of interesting things pay attention. just what i was thinking hope it helps jarrett