Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-24-2007, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
There are plenty of brands of insecticidal soaps, I use them before I bring the plants in on the leaves and soil. It seems to work for me.
I guess it depends on what kind of gnats they are. We just had a bunch of gnats recently and I thought I brought them on the plants but they were from the fruit we had just bought at the store.
I HATE those things.
Dream of all the money you could make today and then realize that this is not about the money.... it's about the commitment, the sunrise coffee, the sunset beer, the smile on the customer's face and the knowledge that what you did today did more than make you money.... it brightened lives!
Old 11-24-2007, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Gerry,
I would not have thought to use sea weed spray for bugs on plants. Do you have any data on that or manufacturers that claim that it works.
It does not seem logical to me that it would work, I would think that the sea weed would act like a food for the larvae and it would feed populations rather than get rid of them.
Hey if it works for you keep doing it
Old 11-24-2007, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Gerry,
I would not have thought to use sea weed spray for bugs on plants. Do you have any data on that or manufacturers that claim that it works.
It does not seem logical to me that it would work, I would think that the sea weed would act like a food for the larvae and it would feed populations rather than get rid of them.
Hey if it works for you keep doing it
Other effects of kelp
Disease and Pest Resistance
Kelp has also been found to increase pest and disease resistance, perhaps due to the changes that it effects on the plants. In a study done in 1961, TL Senn found that seaweed sprays will reduce the severity of powdery mildew on cantaloupe. He also mentions in his book Seaweed and Plant Growth, that studies done with red spider mites showed a 40% reduction in insect population. This may be due to the chelated metals that seaweed contains, or because the gibberellins in seaweed suppress red spider mite reproduction. W.A. Stephenson, in his book Seaweed in Agriculture and Horticulture, reports that seaweed reduces the incidence of botrytis in strawberries and damping-off on lettuce seedlings.

http://www.mosesorganic.org/broadcaster/12.3seaweed.htm

However seaweed in itself is not a plant food, rather it is classified as a "bio-stimulant."

Stress tolerance is perhaps the most important benefit of biostimulants. Biostimulants impart stress tolerance partly by stimulating root growth and partly by promoting antioxidant activity.

Experiments using liquified seaweed showed a reduction in harmful
nematode populations and fusarium and other wilts, as well as a
healthier, lusher appearance. The trace minerals, gibberellins and
auxins in seaweed make grass green up faster in spring and better
survive heat, cold and drought stress. Seaweed also appears to make
other fertilizers more effective by acting as a chelating agent.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/UnCat...Lawn-Care.aspx
Old 11-24-2007, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
There are plenty of brands of insecticidal soaps, I use them before I bring the plants in on the leaves and soil. It seems to work for me.
Good point. Something with neem oil may do the trick.

@Gerry

You need to get a grip on the situation. We are talking about applying a very small amount of spray on a very small surface area of soil in a pot that is outdoors, and only after replacing the soil doesn't work. We are not talking about spraying entire plants indoors with the stuff.

I love it how you have chosen to ignore my first suggestion which is the easiest and cheapest way to deal with the problem, not to mention the plant could probably use a complete soil change and root trimming to begin with.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Good point. Something with neem oil may do the trick.

@Gerry

You need to get a grip on the situation. We are talking about applying a very small amount of spray on a very small surface area of soil in a pot that is outdoors, and only after replacing the soil doesn't work. We are not talking about spraying entire plants indoors with the stuff.

I love it how you have chosen to ignore my first suggestion which is the easiest and cheapest way to deal with the problem, not to mention the plant could probably use a complete soil change and root trimming to begin with.

I've got a lemon tree that I've grown from seed. It's been repotted a couple of times but I've never replaced the soil or trim the roots. The plant is 28 years old and thriving. There is no need for a soil change.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Miller View Post
Hey, with the garbage you post, you have enough on your hands dealing with your posts. You like to twist everything around, especially when you are wrong and give bad advise. A realistic solution is to use seaweed spray. Safe and cheap and realistic. You alternative is to use a dangerous product that has huge health issues. Or to use synthetic chemicals that kill non-target organisms. Yea, that will be good for the plant, poisoning the soil. Which one is realistic??? More of that great scientific training. How about some common sense. I guess it's not so common.
Where do I get seaweed spray "TODAY"? because it may be 25 deg in the morning. Quick fix gerry, that's all we're saying. Why do you have to put people down? I have been "spraying lawns" for 5 years now and the only way the stuff I spray becomes toxic to "non-target plants/organisms" is if you mix wrong. I DON'T MIX WRONG!!! Open your mind or stop telling everyone they are wrong(I've read some of your other posts). I do respect your conviction but not your contempt. I am a licenced applicator in Illinois, Turf, Rights Of Way, Ornamentals and Mosquito. Do you have any questions about the chemicals I use? Also, Don't just take one or two publications word for their recearch. Case and point.... In the mid-80's a research company went around to a bunch of farmers and asked this question.
1. Do you use 2-4,d.... The answer was always yes, if the farmer had lymphoma, they would tell him (or her) that 2-4,d caused it. Where is the study? 2-4d, was removed from the shelves immideately, 8 months later, 2-4d, was back on the shelf, the "research company" was put out of business and it was found that they were all naturalists with their own agenda, they were all sued for deffomation and lost....... and 2-4d, is still used today.
Dream of all the money you could make today and then realize that this is not about the money.... it's about the commitment, the sunrise coffee, the sunset beer, the smile on the customer's face and the knowledge that what you did today did more than make you money.... it brightened lives!
Old 11-24-2007, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Gerry,
Nice post on the abilty of sea weed to help with disease resistance. I agree with almost all of it.
The poster was actually trying to find a way to get rid of flying insects that had infested the plant before moving them indoors.

I believe neem and garlic oils make a not so nice environment for most insect pests, I am not sure but I think it is more of an irratant, so the bugs leave the area than it is an insecticide. They basically say, PEEYEW this place stinks I am going somewhere else.

Soaps work well and are pretty safe. You have to read the labels though I have seen some that look safe until you read the label.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:54 AM
Moderator, Online Communities

I suggest we all stay on topic and refrain from the name calling, attacks, etc. By all means, give your opinions and suggestions, but no need to resort to degrading one another in every discussion.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2007, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate@TLCS View Post
Where do I get seaweed spray "TODAY"? because it may be 25 deg in the morning. Quick fix gerry, that's all we're saying. Why do you have to put people down? I have been "spraying lawns" for 5 years now and the only way the stuff I spray becomes toxic to "non-target plants/organisms" is if you mix wrong. I DON'T MIX WRONG!!! Open your mind or stop telling everyone they are wrong(I've read some of your other posts). I do respect your conviction but not your contempt. I am a licenced applicator in Illinois, Turf, Rights Of Way, Ornamentals and Mosquito. Do you have any questions about the chemicals I use? Also, Don't just take one or two publications word for their recearch. Case and point.... In the mid-80's a research company went around to a bunch of farmers and asked this question.
1. Do you use 2-4,d.... The answer was always yes, if the farmer had lymphoma, they would tell him (or her) that 2-4,d caused it. Where is the study? 2-4d, was removed from the shelves immideately, 8 months later, 2-4d, was back on the shelf, the "research company" was put out of business and it was found that they were all naturalists with their own agenda, they were all sued for deffomation and lost....... and 2-4d, is still used today.
So Nate, you are telling me that all the chemicals you use, and mix and apply according to instructions, have no ill effects on soil organisms let alone people? They don't kill any non-target organisms? Have no effect on fungi in the soil or specifically Mycorrhiza Fungi? Do you advertise yourself as an organic company?

I don't go by one or two publications when I research an item. I don't know why you would assume that?

2-4d may still be used today, but not by people who follow organic practices.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yikes!! you guys are a an arguin bunch in the forum. So it appears my options are an insecticide, neem based product, or soil removal. You guys don't make it easy. I believe every option given was then ridiculed by someone else. I feel like I am no wiser.