Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-24-2007, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Armadillolawncare
It just seems that way, think honeymooners, why I aughta......to the moon Alice!

Insectidial soaps are a very good product for your application, just read the ingredients before purchasing
Old 11-24-2007, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillolawncare View Post
Yikes!! you guys are a an arguin bunch in the forum. So it appears my options are an insecticide, neem based product, or soil removal. You guys don't make it easy. I believe every option given was then ridiculed by someone else. I feel like I am no wiser.
LOL. I'll agree with Bill, His idea is also a"quick fix".LOL we all need to
Dream of all the money you could make today and then realize that this is not about the money.... it's about the commitment, the sunrise coffee, the sunset beer, the smile on the customer's face and the knowledge that what you did today did more than make you money.... it brightened lives!
Old 11-24-2007, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Miller View Post
So Nate, you are telling me that all the chemicals you use, and mix and apply according to instructions, have no ill effects on soil organisms let alone people? They don't kill any non-target organisms? Have no effect on fungi in the soil or specifically Mycorrhiza Fungi? Do you advertise yourself as an organic company?

I don't go by one or two publications when I research an item. I don't know why you would assume that?

2-4d may still be used today, but not by people who follow organic practices.
No, I do not advertize as an organic company.
Honestly never heard of "mycorrhiza fungi"( but would like to know)
And you know as well as I do that when safe applicating practices are used, the danger to the applicator and the consumer are severely low!
If you get into some weed control in pure form....your'e hurtin' It will peel paint for crying out loud. Look, I spray my own lawn, I have 3 kids and expecting my fourth in 2 weeks, a yellow lab and a cat. I trust myself and dont let anyone on the lawn until it is watered in(label directions). I respect your lifestyle and conviction and when I have a question about organics, I will probably ask you. Lett's just agree to disagree.
Dream of all the money you could make today and then realize that this is not about the money.... it's about the commitment, the sunrise coffee, the sunset beer, the smile on the customer's face and the knowledge that what you did today did more than make you money.... it brightened lives!
Old 11-25-2007, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Would I apply an insectacide soap directly to the soil? How much of the soap would I put in the soil? Any direction as far as application rates would be great.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Follow the directions on the bottle.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was actually thinking of giving my neighbor a recipe for a homemade version which is why I needed help with quanity to apply.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gnats...No Problem...Remove the top layer of soil as said by others...and replace with the Miracle grow soil...Spray with a Organic Insecticidal soap.
Remember...Don't over water...The larvae Thrives on over watered soils.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daner View Post
and replace with the Miracle grow soil soils.
You must have missed my contribution to this thread. I had the same problem with A premium brand of bagged soil. I honestly don't remember the brand name as it has been 3-4 years ago but Miracle grow was one of the likely brands. Any contact killer will provide quick but temporary results. you need to do both a soil product and a contact kill if you are not patient enough to wait on the soil kill to get to the root of the problem.

I am not as confident about the insecticidal soap soil drench myself. You know one of the reasons soap used to be such a great and deadly product was the phosphates that were in the soaps. They would eat through the protective shells of all kinds of critters even pearl scale. Not the case anymore, look at the ingredients on the bottles they even advertise "no phosphates".

Just be glad its one pot and outside now. I was dealing with a professional golfer and a home that looked like the rain forest on the inside with all the plants. He had all these decaying pots and crappy plastic saucers and a housekeeper that thought they were supposed to be hydroponically grown. I transplanted everything into new sealed pots with saucers and gave the housekeeper a moisture meter. Then there where the gnats! There were clouds of them, he complained he couldn't see the TV through them. I sprayed and killed them off and 3-4 days later they were back like the plague. Thank god he traveled a lot and I had a window of time to let the nematodes do their work.

Good luck with your problem..
Old 11-25-2007, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener View Post
You must have missed my contribution to this thread. I had the same problem with A premium brand of bagged soil. I honestly don't remember the brand name as it has been 3-4 years ago but Miracle grow was one of the likely brands..
Yes I did miss It ...sorry...I have never had any problems with Miracle grow
I would say Its possible for Gnat larvae to be in any type of bagged soils.

I have also noticed that this year especially Is bad for the Gnats around this end of the country .
Old 11-26-2007, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

There are several organic ways to get rid of gnats in potted plants without the use of pesticides. Potato slices are one and sticky traps are another. The plant can safely be brought indoors and the fungal gnats trapped and/or gotten rid of with diatomaceous earth. Here's helpful info.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/project...ngusgnats.html
http://www.ghorganics.com/page9.html#Fungus%20Gnats:

Newt