Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-24-2007, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Talking read any good books?

I've been a custom design & build landscaper for seven years and have been designing & installing low voltage systems in this time. I have only done residential & nothing really big. Generally speaking the systems are always nice and I have never really had any call backs or major problems.
But, I have just started using spider systems and know there is plenty more for me to learn (especially concerning proper lamp selection and just general "how-to" nitty griddy).
So has anybody read any good books, CD's, etc. about "how-to" design & install low voltage systems. Something that is very thorough and in-depth.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=203374&page=2
Old 11-24-2007, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

http://www.wlld.us/book_reviews/index.shtml

check out Tom Williams book review. There are a lot of choices and good books here. He is not at the top of my list right now on a personal level, but I think his book review is quite nice.
Hope this helps.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Books?

Sorry to impose but can anyone suggest a good/informative book on christmas lighting? I am the most able bodied person in my family(and own a lcc.... it is like I am supposed to know) and they want me to hang their lights, I told them only if it looked good..... I need help. p.s. this is not somthing I offer my customers, or will I until I think I do a better job than the other guys. Thankyou in advance.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Member

What Books to Read

Can you guys please tell me some good outdoor lighting books to read for beginners. I am very new to the game and want to educate myself as much as possible in the industry this winter. I've only done very small projects by myself and with other landscapers so my knowledge is very limited at this time. I plan on going to some seminars as well.

thanks
Old 11-25-2007, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

New guys please use the search function and on the advanced search try searching for books on the landscape lighting forum

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=2273891

Last edited by Michael J. Donovan; 11-25-2007 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I plan on going to some seminars as well.

Great start.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback! I ordered two of the suggested books. Looks like I have some winter time reading/studing to do!
Old 11-25-2007, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

rememeber. Seminars can be useful but they will arm you with some not so useful info sometimes.

Alot of dist or manufactures will tell you to charge xxx per fixture.
They will often arm you with excellent marketing and sales techniques but fall short when it comes to installation or technical info. You will not learn how to do lighting properly in a day or 2 at some seminar.

If you do attend a seminar try to make it one where you get a hands on installation and design explanation. I really value my dist based seminars as a great insight into marketing and sales but I would have to say I have learned more over the last few years here and by meeting with other contractors than I did sitting at a table at a seminar.

Nothing substitues for hands on experience.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes View Post
New guys please use the search function and on the advanced search try searching for books on the landscape lighting forum

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=2273891
...........Did that. Didn't find what I was looking for.......Searched Klkanders post too, all it showed was an argument. I thought Lawnsite.com was for people in the same business to help each other....not to blow each other off???? If you don't have the time to answer a question.... then you don't have the time to give us bogus pages to look at or tell us what we are doing wrong. Next time, just skip the post and let other people answer.