Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2000, 04:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I posted this message in the lawnsite.com support section. I'm reposting it here to see if some of you guys & gals out there are in agreement with me. Here it is:<p>Might not be a bad idea to ditch the &quot;grassmaster&quot; forum which nobody uses and replace it with one for those of us who operate full service businesses, full time, all year round. The commercial forum is pretty broad in that it includes part-timers and green-behind-the-ears newbies. I've got no problem with them participating but those of us who have been making a full-time living at this profession for a number of years might like a forum where questions such as &quot;How often should I sharpen my mower blades?&quot; don't take up space.<br>Just a thought.<p>Let me know if you agree or disagree.<p><p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>
Old 02-20-2000, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This is the same post I made in the feedback forum. <p>My problem with that is that questions like the &quot;how often should I sharpen my blades?&quot; question has no definitive answer. And if you don't let users ask questions like that in the regular forum, they won't get opinions from people with experience. You will get people not wanting to ask questions because they think it is a stupid question. <p>I think maybe it should be broken down into an equipment forum and a business forum, rather than a new contractors forum and experienced contractors forum. If you seperate them, experienced contractors will stay out of the &quot;newbie&quot; section. I have been in this business for years and I still feel this way.<br>
Old 02-20-2000, 04:52 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I too think the forum should not be separated into new and experianced. I have been mowing for 15 years, but have learned from someone in the business for a year. <p>My suggestion was a forum for us lawn guys on creating websites. I know of several guys that have a lawn business and would like to make a site or have questions on how to do it. Where to get good graphics, things like this. I have done several websites since December, but I still have a lot of questions. It could also include computers in general. We all have computers, but I also know not everyone knows how to use them to their fullest capability, including me. This whole forum is a teaching - learning process, so it could be something guys want. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 02-20-2000, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think separating the fourm into two groups is a good idea.I myself am not a rookie in this business but if I were I would not want to be asking questions to other people who don't know the answers!I don't get bothered answering questions like &quot;how often should I sharpen my mower blades&quot; in fact I injoy answering these questions.Sometimes when you answer these so-called simple questions you will see that someone has a better way of doing it.If that simple question was not asked you would have never found out that there was a better way to do it.I suggest if you see a question like this and you feel it is too easy of a question,than ignore it!If you were a rokie in this business would you not want your question answered?<p>Just my opinion!<p>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care
Old 02-20-2000, 05:48 PM
Banned

The unfortuante thing is &lt;b&gt;some&lt;/b&gt; of the people who have been in the business for a long time don't seem to have the correct answer to many questions. I don't have a ton of experience, but you would be amazed at how many people are interested in getting my advice. &lt;p&gt;I sometimes hear seasoned veterans give advice that is absolutely contradictory to my personal experience. &lt;p&gt;It's this blend of advice that lets people sift through and decide what advice to follow. &lt;p&gt; There are guys who have yet to service an account that have fabulous ideas that I have incorporated into my business.&lt;p&gt;If you judge people by how long they have been in the business, you are selling yourself short in my opinion.&lt;p&gt;John
Old 02-20-2000, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It would be nice for there to be a place where we can have a site with information on the company such as e-mail address, years in the business, as well as state of business. If the big companies want to talk they can e-mail direct to another. Just a thought.<br>By the way I like it like it is.
Old 02-20-2000, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering if it is possible to have an archive of edited FAQs that people new to the forum could browse. That way they may pick up the info they needed or feel inspired to ask a detailed question to get more responses. I am beginning to think that maybe the length of time registered and active on the forum may be more of an indicator of question fatique than length of time in business.
Old 02-21-2000, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you re-read my original post I'm not advocating changing or eliminating the commercial lawn care forum in its present form. On the contrary, I think it IS a great forum for long-time vets and beginners alike. However, I AM suggesting that an ADDITIONAL forum be available which is geared towards more detailed thread topics. Topics which would likely be posted by those who operate their businesses on a full-time, year-round basis, and whose companies offer full service (ie. lawn cutting, licensed fertilizing, aerating, snowplowing & ice control, etc..) to their customers. I agree that a person's length of business ownership in years does not necessarily reflect upon one's degree of knowledge. I'm simply suggesting an additional alternative forum to the singular commercial lawn care one currently offered. <p>Anyway, my wife's done giving the baby his middle of the nite feed so I'm goin' back to bed.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>
Old 02-21-2000, 11:09 AM

Hello Everybody:<p>I've noticed that in 2 different forums that it has been brought up to ditch the GrassMaster Forum.<p>Well that is left up to Chuck & him only. He gave me this forum because of the content I provide & the fact he is a great guy. I did not ask for the forum.<p>Now why is this forum dead well I have the only competeing forum on this site. The other forums are different in their own way.<p>Majority rules right? Well lets see?<p>Commercial Lawn Care forum has over 3775 post & mine 63 post. Its almost 60 times bigger than mine. My post when there has been problems in the past have been lost & I had to start all over again here.<p>Commercial lawn care forum is listed above mine. Look at the names of the forums, Commercial lawn care forum beats the hell out of GrassMasters forum.<p>I try to help everybody the best I can & I've been doing this with my web site since late 96. I answer about 100 or more E-mails a week. Where were you in 96, at that time I had already been on the net 2 years.<p>I almost died in the lawn Service Business & if I can keep this from happening to just one person that has a spouse & 4 children, my mission is complete. Even if it takes 10 more years.<p>I just want to get people to understand that it is OK to Work Smarter not Harder!<p>Yes I want to profit off of it & believe me, people can tell you what they want but that is why we are all here!$$$$ Ca Ching<p>You want the biggest, best & most profitable lawn Service in town. Hey it makes sense to me. I will help you anyway I can.<p>I want the biggest & best Lawn Service Information Resources web site on the Internet. <p>Guess what I did it. With no outside resourses or support!<p>Hey Let GrassMaster BRAG!!!!!<br>Always 5 exclamation marks do you know why?<p>The first & only free non commercial web site Lawn Service Resourses related.<p>The first one to put up a Valuable internet resourses page that can't be beat.<p>The first one to put up contracts for everyone to benifit from.<p>The first one to put up a Browser Start Up Page.<p>I will stop here but there is plenty more, just my battery is getting low from tooting my horn so long!LOL<p>I'm a so called Grandaddy on the Internet not a Infant!<p>I don't get paid to make long thought out post. I post in 5 different forums & answer 100 e-mails a week. This free service takes 30 to 40 hours a week. I will keep on doing this no matter what.<p>What else do I do lets see, I have 2 forums that I run & its not much right now, I have 5 web sites, I run a Power Equipment Dealership, I'm writing 4 books that I will never finish, I support a family & when my sorry lazy butt don't have anything else to do I try to find me a life! LOL I could have put down more.<p>Its Chucks Forum & he does as he wishes. If you knew much about this stuff he could put on another 20 + forums without ditching the little guy!<p>Until yesterday I have answered questions only & never asked until yesterday. If I have ever offended anyone, I did not mean too.<p>I can't waste this much time & money causing problems. I just want to be like everybody else SUCCESSFUL!!!!!<p>BTW, I will cross post because it was done to me. I know it's a no no on forums.<p>LOL I'm forced to cross post because this GrassMasters forum is dead & nobody reads it. Oh well.<p><p><br><p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Have a nice day!!!!! Home: http://www.lawnservicing.com<br>Visit my browser Start Up Page http://www.lawnservicing.com/startup/
Old 02-21-2000, 11:34 AM
Banned

Grassmaster-<p>Just wanted to let you know that your work has not gone unappreciated. I'm sure there are many others out there who feel the same, they just may not voice it. I personally thank you for being the &quot;granddaddy.&quot; You are correct, your list of resources is one of the most valuable, comprehensive lists on the internet. &lt;p&gt;You have shown your mettle by listing multiple forums which &quot;compete&quot; with yours for viewership. It is easy for me to see where your head is at, judging by your actions. Thank you, your presence is a benefit to all of us.&lt;p&gt;John