Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-20-2000, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Back to the Toro Z-Master, or ExMark Lazer. The drive sticks all have shocks to dampen quick movement and prevent tearing the turf. My problem is that I used a Dixie Chopper last year and didn't even know that some machines used these shocks to restrict their handles. Then I demoed a Toro and didn't like it much because it was so hard to maneuver quickly, like the Dixie. <p>SO I WAS WONDERING… is there a way to (have you ever) lighten the shocks so the sticks can be moved a little faster? I'm still going to buy the Toro, and I suppose I'll get used to the way the sticks feel, but if I could I'd like to modify them.<br>
Old 02-20-2000, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

you demoed both the toro and the dixie? and you are going to buy the toro?<p>eric! help this guy! (50% humor intended!)<p>GEO
Old 02-21-2000, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Why would you buy something you really don't like? Did you not like the Chopper? My Scag has the springs that put resistance against the handles and when I get on it after being on the chopper it feels like I have been working out!<p>Homer
Old 02-21-2000, 12:13 AM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Geo, someone has to buy that red stuff so the mechanics have something to do.<p>I don't know why those companies put the dampers on. I tried a Viper that was the same way. I thought it sucked. I couldn't drive that thing straight at all. The new Choppers have a even easier steering on theirs called feather touch, I think. Good luck with your new machine Likestomow. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
Old 02-21-2000, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I could easily take the bait and discuss the pros and cons <br>of the two machines, but I really want to hear <br>some feedback regarding the dampening issue <br>and if it can be modified.<p>Thanks for your humor.&lt;G&gt;<p>
Old 02-21-2000, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i once called dixies tech line and an old guy told me that there is a reason for the dampening. Im not sure and dont fully remember but i think he siad that it was the way the dixie uses a a gear or a sending unit or something to relay the message to the hydro units and the exmarks or the dampened ones are hooked directly do the motor woithout something in the middle to relay the hydro fluid. He said that the dampening was neccesary because without the middle thing(equipped stndard on the dixies) the hydro unit would just break under the stress. So it has to be dampened unless you can put the thing that comes standard on the dixie to your other movers. Thats all i know and thats what i heard.<p><br>bdemir<br>
Old 02-21-2000, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Take the shocks out or put smaller ones in it if you really don't like it.<p>They're there for a reason.<p>I'd run it a week before &quot;toying&quot; w/ it.<br>
Old 02-21-2000, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i have the toro and the shocks dont bother me a bit. using diffrent mowers just takes time getting used to. ive never even used a ztr without the dampening so i have nothing to compare it to. they are not stiff to the poin the where its a work out...there just dont glide with no effort like the choppers.