Register free!

Old 11-27-2007, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Excellent advice from Tim.

I would take the risk and do the design, specification and quote for free. I would present that package to the developer and their team, but I would not leave any information behind. If they want the design, spec. and contract left behind to contemplate it, then I would insist on a fee of 10% of the value of the project. You wouldnt catch an architect leaving behind their plans without a contract or a fee being paid for that work.

If the developer is in fact tendering the job out for bids, then they should have a package available for all bidders that fully describes the scope of the work etc. This ensures a level playing field between all bidders.

Chris, you may want to look at this as a marketing opportunity. To get the chance to do this work, and put it in front of the whole community will only do great things for your business. I have direct experience in a situation much like this and will discuss it with you privately if you want.

Have a great day.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 11-27-2007, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good approach Tim! I agree
Chris, Where did the 150K minimum come from? I assume like others they have no lighting plan for everyone to bid on. If the initial price range doesnt make him blink and he is still interested ask if he needs a detailed plan done which will require an extensive amount of your time and you would have to charge for. He will then own this plan and the fees will be deducted when your proposal is accepted. Sounds like a great opportunity and I wish you the best of luck!
Old 11-27-2007, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Chris,

You realize that you have to take some risk here bud. You need to take a chance to get a head in the world. You know this. I'd never be selling thousands of light fixtures, bulb, etc...a day if i never would have taken a chance. This is a big deal for you. Just design it, and prepare your sales presentation well...this is what it comes down to...can you close it...cover all your basis, read James favorite book tonight....if you can be a purple cow...you got it
Old 11-27-2007, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've got the purple cow book, but I haven't read it yet. After sleeping on this last night, I have come to the conclusion that I will not shoot myself in the foot by demanding consultation fees. I think this would simply be "looking a gift horse in the mouth", and it's my feeling that I should just put forth the effort to win the proposal without asking for anything at this time. I'm already one step ahead due to the fact that I have the President of the HOA backing me with his recommendation. I've scheduled a meeting with the developer this Friday where he will provide me with the plans for the project. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 11-27-2007, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Chris.... READ that book!

www.integralighting.com

Old 11-27-2007, 05:19 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

OK, you guys got me...........what in the world is the purple cow book?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Good luck Chris. You'll do fine.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 11-27-2007, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Bill... It really is a great read. Purple Cow by Seth Godin. It is a book on marketing your business 'outside of the box', focussing on how to make yourself and your business "REMARKABLE"

Bill Locklin gave me my copy a few years ago, I read it in Palm Springs one afternoon and I have to say, it actually changed my business and my life. It is a remarkable book.

Have a great day.

www.integralighting.com

Old 11-27-2007, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Every time you talk to this guy you should be educating him about yourself and your work. You should start talking to him about things like a bid is useless without a equipment spec and design which you should provide. Remember if your already busy with work this job will not make you anywhere near the profit margins as your day to day bread and butter work. Find out about increased insurance requirements and etc. before you work a deal for a 150K job: monthly draws, change orders, cost of damage and work slowdowns due to other contractors, and etc. Yes you should be excited and proud, but don't get $$ blinded. I have been there and lost money already.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can ask for design fees and they will probably tell you to go crap in your transformer. That is expected from Builders and HOA's. Give it your best shot but understand that they will be getting at least 3 bids. More times than not with this ilk it's the lowest one that gets the bid unless it's an ultra high end community. The problem is that your competitors better worse or equal are willing to give free bids so you will be expected to do so as well. good luck.