Register free!

Old 12-02-2007, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Victor-

I'd strongly recommend some experimentation with the season-long options like Cascade or Lescoflo Ultra before you start to sell them in your program, and I'm guessing that was your plan. If they can perform like you hoped then the cost would easily justify itself.

You can expect to pay $6-10+ per 1000 for a full rate treatment of products like this... depending on which you go with and how much your buying. Full rate on Lescoflo is 16 oz/1000 and I believe Cascade is similar. Also, unless your using huge volumes of water 20gal/1000+ you'll need to water these products in to avoid burn potential and to get the product "activated" in the soil. On an unirrigated lawn this means spraying it in the rain... a lot of golf courses that treat fairways will do it this way. Also eliminates the ability to tank mix with weed control. Depending on timing and a compatibility jar test, it could be tank mixed with grub control like Merit, which also should be watered in.

As a stand alone app you're probably looking at $100 plus for a standard 5-10K lawn. Like I said before, if it does what you're hoping for, keeping an unirrigated lawn from browning out in the heat of the summer, or even conserving water on an irrigated lawn, it could be a bargain and an easy sell... but I'd want to see it for myself before trying to sell it.

Just my $.02,

Ryan
Old 12-02-2007, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnLefty View Post
Victor-

I'd strongly recommend some experimentation with the season-long options like Cascade or Lescoflo Ultra before you start to sell them in your program, and I'm guessing that was your plan. If they can perform like you hoped then the cost would easily justify itself.

You can expect to pay $6-10+ per 1000 for a full rate treatment of products like this... depending on which you go with and how much your buying. Full rate on Lescoflo is 16 oz/1000 and I believe Cascade is similar. Also, unless your using huge volumes of water 20gal/1000+ you'll need to water these products in to avoid burn potential and to get the product "activated" in the soil. On an unirrigated lawn this means spraying it in the rain... a lot of golf courses that treat fairways will do it this way. Also eliminates the ability to tank mix with weed control. Depending on timing and a compatibility jar test, it could be tank mixed with grub control like Merit, which also should be watered in.

As a stand alone app you're probably looking at $100 plus for a standard 5-10K lawn. Like I said before, if it does what you're hoping for, keeping an unirrigated lawn from browning out in the heat of the summer, or even conserving water on an irrigated lawn, it could be a bargain and an easy sell... but I'd want to see it for myself before trying to sell it.

Just my $.02,

Ryan
That sounds like some really solid advice there Ryan. Thank you very much. Everything about this was going to be experimental, until I had gathered more info about these products. I can definitely see the watering in issue and the price issue as insurmountable problems with the incorporation of wetting agents into my program. Like you mentioned though, I could definitely see offering up sell applications of wetting agents. As always, thanks for the great advice.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hi Vic -- We were approached by a chemical company about 8 years ago that asked us to apply wetting agents on about a dozen lawns in Johnston, Iowa. Said the lawns (clay) would see benefits regarding improvement of heavy soils and improved turf. They paid us for it, so we did apply their product on these lawns --actually, two of these lawns were customers of ours. I made sure there was no guarantee or responsibility on our part.

Bottom line: no difference, and we have not heard from this company again. I think it was a gimmic, and our land-grant university says there is no 'miracle cure' regarding additives or special chemicals regarding soil improvement, nutrient retention/improvement of turf.

Vic -- this is first-hand knowledge ---------- not a "Jeff Foxworthy joke" like some losers get away with on this fine site in order to belittle fellow members. Any viewers can easily contact Iowa State University regarding the above recommendations.

QUOTE=Victor;2050900]I've been thinking about mixing a good wetting agent in with my Springtime blanket liquid apps. Since an overwhelming majority of my lawns are recently sodded lawns, that were laid on top of a hard-pan, gravely, clay surface. Since very few of my customers have irrigation systems, a good wetting agent should help compensate for the lack of water these lawns get. At least I'd know that my lawns would derive the maximum benefit out of whatever water they did get. I'm always looking for that edge. I'm always looking for a tweak I can do to my program that will set my lawns that much further ahead of my competition's lawns.
I'm really curious to see what opinions any of you might have about me incorporating them into my program. While not optimum, I'd use them just once in the late Spring (should really help my lawns handle the dryer weather of Summer more easily). Anyway.. I'd really like to read any opinions any of you might have. If anyone would like to share their experiences with them, I'm all ears. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-02-2007, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Bottom line: no difference, and we have not heard from this company again. I think it was a gimmic, and our land-grant university says there is no 'miracle cure' regarding additives or special chemicals regarding soil improvement, nutrient retention/improvement of turf.
I don't mean to speak for Vic, but I think he just wants the soil to be more receptive to irrigation and rainfall in the summer. You're correct, there are no miracle cures or magic pills for soil structure, etc... but I know from first hand expreience that these products help water soak into the root zone more effectively in areas of hydrophobic conditions, heavy thatch, and compacted soil, as opposed to beading up and running off. I also wondered if adding a wetting agent would have any synergistic effects with R1 preemergents or maybe grub controls?
Member Mich. Turfgrass Foundation (MTF)
Old 12-02-2007, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStine315 View Post
I also wondered if adding a wetting agent would have any synergistic effects with R1 preemergents or maybe grub controls?
I'd love to see some studies done on this, as some wetting agents have helped improve control of certain fungicides when battling fairy ring...
Old 12-03-2007, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

VICTOR
We use a wetting agent in our liquid apps called WEX at 1 quart per acre and we have seen that the water doesn't puddle in the yards it drains down much faster and yes your yards seem to stay greener longer when it drys out and seems to come back quicker after a rain. But they still dry out and turn brown. I guess there is no replacement for water and no quick fixes but it does loosen up the soil and yes it does help with weed control every blade and leaf is coated from top to bottom.
Charles Cue
Old 12-03-2007, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Check out UAP. They offer about eight selections. Their LI-700 is our favorate -- it's a non-ionic product: surfactant, water acidifier, penetrant, reduces burn potential, and it works on all types of pesticides. Check out UAP's site in order to find the exact product to fit your needs. My two cents worth worth.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
VICTOR
we have seen that the water doesn't puddle in the yards it drains down much faster and yes your yards seem to stay greener longer when it drys out and seems to come back quicker after a rain. But they still dry out and turn brown. I guess there is no replacement for water and no quick fixes but it does loosen up the soil
Charles Cue
This is exactly the effect I would expect to hear. The wetting agents may help the soil retain water for a time, but are no replacement for irrigation/rainfall. When the sol is dry, the idea is that they will aid in allowing the rainfall to soak in, rather than run off. If you use a "season-long" wetting agent, you would apply it in the spring and hope to still have those effects in the summer months.
Member Mich. Turfgrass Foundation (MTF)
Old 12-04-2007, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Charles, Marc and Larry... Thanks for all of this great input. That's what I was looking for. I'm wondering though Charles, how pricey is the Wex?
Old 12-04-2007, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
Charles, Marc and Larry... Thanks for all of this great input. That's what I was looking for. I'm wondering though Charles, how pricey is the Wex?
I pay just under 6 dollars a quart thats not to bad. IT WILL DO A ACRE
Charles cue