Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-30-2007, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

How would you light this dry-stacked stone wall?

Old 11-30-2007, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My connection is slow tonight, so I couldn't edit the above with more info, so here it is:

This is a path that goes from the bocce court at one end to the wine cellar at the other. Two staircases descend from the pool/ patio/ outdoor dining area. These clients do a lot of entertaining. They expect a lot of foot traffic throughout.

The path is approx. 325 ft. from one end to the other. It's about 8 ft. wide, with a landing (not shown) that adds 6 ft. width in a spot in between the stairways, that will be a seating area and a wrought iron fence (not done yet) along the top of the lower wall (path level).

The rocks in the wall are not stable enough to do any serious core drilling. I'm looking for something small and inconspicuous, like maybe (I've heard of doing this) the Nightscaping Seegarliter placed horizontally a foot down from the top of the wall and projecting out 3 or 4 inches.

Along the stairs I could use some conventional copper pathlight fixtures on the higher side at the top of the wall, but I'm concerned about glare when seen from below. Maybe something with an adjustable top like one of those that Unique or FX offers?

There is uplighting of some parts of the upper walls to do, but I have to avoid glare into the eyes of people going down the stairs too.

Anyway, I think this is going to take some experimenting to deal with the glare issues in all directions.

Any thoughts?
Old 11-30-2007, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Gregg, here is my idea from what I can see in the picture.
1. the staircase- I would find a large fairly flat stone probably 2/3 to 3/4 of the way to the top. I would drill a 1/2 hole through the stone from the front to the back. I would mount a Unique Gemini on the stone to downlight the wall and the stairs. Just find like stones to mount to all the way down the staircase at even intervals if possible, for even lighting. Not only are you not able to core out the steps, but in this case you wouldn't want to because of glare and trying to negotiate steps.

2. On the outside walls I would use a well light with a good spread lense at a predetermined interval along the base of the walls. I don't see any place to hide a tranny so you will probably have to run power down that wall somewhere and I would use a subteranean tranny to hide it.

(oh yeah, double stack your well or get a fixture with a deep socket to fight glare.)

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com

Last edited by Lite4; 11-30-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

looks like the foothills area north of stanford to me.

On the paths perhaps you can use shorter ones... Coppermoon has a really nice compact path we are very happy with. You may wanna check with a west coast distributor or terradek on thoes.

On the uplights its going to be tough i think. Is there more landscape planned around the paths ?

I would almost say your over thinking this... Why not traditional deck lights since the wall is unstable to core drill ? I think Cast deck lights would look great on this wall but thats just my opinion. I would lean that way then use some small wash lights in other areas to show off the levels of the wall and possibly some other fixtures mixed in but I would try to keep it from being too busy... looks like the got a simple look of a wall and path that you could of seen 100 years ago. I would try to keep the lighting in mind with that. If they are planning iron railings on the stairs you could also see about doing some fiber optics or other linear lighting recessed into the bottom of the railings ???
Old 11-30-2007, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly Prof. Lighting View Post
Gregg, here is my idea from what I can see in the picture.
1. the staircase- I would find a large fairly flat stone probably 2/3 to 3/4 of the way to the top. I would drill a 1/2 hole through the stone from the front to the back. I would mount a Unique Gemini on the stone to downlight the wall and the stairs. Just find like stones to mount to all the way down the staircase at even intervals if possible, for even lighting. Not only are you not able to core out the steps, but in this case you wouldn't want to because of glare and trying to negotiate steps.

2. On the outside walls I would use a well light with a good spread lense at a predetermined interval along the base of the walls. I don't see any place to hide a tranny so you will probably have to run power down that wall somewhere and I would use a subteranean tranny to hide it.

(oh yeah, double stack your well or get a fixture with a deep socket to fight glare.)
Not familiar enough with the Unique line to know the Gemini by name. I'll have to look. Not really interested in coring the steps themselves, looking to light them from the walls as needed.

Well lights close in might work. Not sure how well that crushed gravel is packed, but it won't be changing to anything like asphalt or concrete. There's a wider maintenance road at the bottom of the lower slope, so the path doesn't need to be used for any vehicles either.

Thanks.

BTW, might be worth buying an auger for that many well lights...

Last edited by irrig8r; 11-30-2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes View Post
looks like the foothills area north of stanford to me.

On the paths perhaps you can use shorter ones... Coppermoon has a really nice compact path we are very happy with. You may wanna check with a west coast distributor or terradek on thoes.

On the uplights its going to be tough i think. Is there more landscape planned around the paths ?

I would almost say your over thinking this... Why not traditional deck lights since the wall is unstable to core drill ? I think Cast deck lights would look great on this wall but thats just my opinion. I would lean that way then use some small wash lights in other areas to show off the levels of the wall and possibly some other fixtures mixed in but I would try to keep it from being too busy... looks like the got a simple look of a wall and path that you could of seen 100 years ago. I would try to keep the lighting in mind with that. If they are planning iron railings on the stairs you could also see about doing some fiber optics or other linear lighting recessed into the bottom of the railings ???
The deck lights is something they used elsewhere... same shape but cheaper than the Cast... Luma Landscape Lighting product.. black finish is already fading in 4 years

I was looking to try something less conventional.

Thanks for your input.

BTW, it's above Los Gatos. Close though :-)
Old 11-30-2007, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Gregg

At the steps and landings, I would lean first towards some sort of core-drill fixture like a Hunza steplite. Then I would look towards something like the Seegarliter or the Hunza Twig, inserted into the stone wall at various points. Only problem with the second method would be spacing and beam spread.

As for the longer walls along the gravel pathway... I would be using an inground (well-light) spaced evenly, with a grate or other glare reducing accessory.

I hope your client's are ready for the quote! That is going to be one expensive walk way to light....

Let us know how you procede.

Have a great day.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-01-2007, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would try stellars with the knuckle cut off & linear spread lense along with apollos with linear spread lense and glare guards
Tommy Herren, CLVLT #1169
Member of AOLP, CA chapter
www.thelightinggeek.com

Battling the Forces of Darkness Everywhere
Old 12-01-2007, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Gregg, The Geminii is the same shape as that deck light. It is solid Brass however.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 12-01-2007, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm going to look into pricing on these FX fixtures. The MR-11 uplight is a new one to me. 8,000 hrs. for the Xenolux sounds promising. And 4" diam. sounds good. With the glare shield of course.

http://www.fxl.com/products/document...4318660144.pdf

The Unique Nova also looks interesting. Not sure how they can squeeze an MR-16 into that diameter housing though...

http://www.uniquelighting.com/Spec%20Sheets/Nova.pdf

I also like the FX CG, and the ML-20 is a smaller version of it. Still 4.85 " across though. For on the walls above the steps.

http://www.fxl.com/products/document...0518656432.pdf

And I might be able to get Nightscaping to customize a Seegarliter with a flat/ blunt end so it doesn't look quite so phallic. Fits OK in 1" conduit.

http://www.nightscaping.com/pdfs/seegar_gd7520cu.pdf

Last edited by irrig8r; 12-01-2007 at 02:03 AM.