Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-01-2007, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
I'm going to look into pricing on these FX fixtures. The MR-11 uplight is a new one to me. 8,000 hrs. for the Xenolux sounds promising. And 4" diam. sounds good. With the glare shield of course.

http://www.fxl.com/products/document...4318660144.pdf

The Unique Nova also looks interesting. Not sure how they can squeeze an MR-16 into that diameter housing though...

http://www.uniquelighting.com/Spec%20Sheets/Nova.pdf

I also like the FX CG, and the ML-20 is a smaller version of it. Still 4.85 " across though. For on the walls above the steps.

http://www.fxl.com/products/document...0518656432.pdf

And I might be able to get Nightscaping to customize a Seegarliter with a flat/ blunt end so it doesn't look quite so phallic. Fits OK in 1" conduit.

http://www.nightscaping.com/pdfs/seegar_gd7520cu.pdf
Gregg... I like that FX CG fixture, and while you are looking at small diameter/footprint inground well lights, you might want to check into these from Intense! Lighting:

http://www.intenselighting.com/productinfo.php?id=356

They are quite nice... I used some this past spring in a drive-over situation to highlight some Wrought Iron gates. They are rugged, and to my surprise and delight, have had no water ingress to date. They come with a grated lens for glare control and you can also fit a honeycomb glare louver to the lamp with a clip. They are a nice, small dia. inground.

Have a great day.

(P.S. Jack is doing well, and I will send out an update to all the friends and family just as soon as we get home... Not sure if that will be today or tomorrow at this point.)

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-01-2007, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Very glad to hear Jack is doing well. I saw that you had been on Lawnsite, so I knew you had a long day yesterday.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

BTW, never heard of Intense! lighting before. They look like they're probably up there in a price range w/ Hunza, Vision3, BK, etc.

Looks like they are in Anaheim...

So what is it about so many lighting companies in Southern Cal? Could it have anything to do with a labor pool of so many skilled defense plant workers (machinists) laid off in the eighties and early nineties?

Is it that people live outdoors more of the year?
Old 12-01-2007, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I was just browsing the Nightscaping catalog and ran across the Sazliter. This looks interesting at only 2.5" across. I'm going to check with the factory. I know they could replace the standard SCB with a wedge base with no hassle. I wonder if it might also be wide enough for an MR-11 ??? Now that would be a very low profile uplight.

http://www.nightscaping.com/sazliter.htm

And being brass, it should have a lifetime warranty, right James?

Last edited by irrig8r; 12-01-2007 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Member

wall

If you would like to try our DS-1 Stainless steel deck light. try mounting with a bracket that would slide in or lag it to the rock/ wall at even levels. Normal wholesale is $47. We will accommodate and ship direct to you for $25 each.
Attached Images

WEB: www.frog-lights.com
EMAIL: frog_lights@yahoo.com
Old 12-01-2007, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the suggestion and offer.

However, I'm looking for something that is going to age gracefully, and blend in as smoothly as possible, i.e. copper or brass.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

We make the same item in solid brass also.
WEB: www.frog-lights.com
EMAIL: frog_lights@yahoo.com
Old 12-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Sponsor

Given the nature of the wall - very irregular and loose, I would avoid deck-type lights. Also tons of labor. Thinking also of consistency in design, I would look to light both stairs and paths in the same way. The obvious conclusion would be to use china-hat type path lights spaced about 10 ft. apart just behind the uphill side of the stone walls. Where possible you could have path lights on the opposing side as well. Of course, being sure to select path lights with no glare when viewed from below.

I also see a nice pergola at the top of the path - that may be a useful mount for a downlight for addtional illumination at the path head.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveparrott View Post
Given the nature of the wall - very irregular and loose, I would avoid deck-type lights. Also tons of labor. Thinking also of consistency in design, I would look to light both stairs and paths in the same way. The obvious conclusion would be to use china-hat type path lights spaced about 10 ft. apart just behind the uphill side of the stone walls. Where possible you could have path lights on the opposing side as well. Of course, being sure to select path lights with no glare when viewed from below.

I also see a nice pergola at the top of the path - that may be a useful mount for a downlight for addtional illumination at the path head.
Thanks Steve. Good observation- there already is one there at the top landing shining from above... a tacky fixture from Luma. I'd like to do something better there too as part of renovating the entire lighting system.... first this project to get my foot in the door. Check your PMs.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog Lights, LLC View Post
If you would like to try our DS-1 Stainless steel deck light. try mounting with a bracket that would slide in or lag it to the rock/ wall at even levels. Normal wholesale is (deleted). We will accommodate and ship direct to you for (deleted) each.
Is this really a great idea to mention wholesale prices openly? Couldn't this have been done in PM? How's a guy to make a decent markup when his cost is laid bare for the public to see. Thank you.