Register free!

Old 12-01-2007, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay, Sorry, Pete just trying to help him out. I will have special access on my new website for Lawnsite members to obtain goods at special prices if they want.
WEB: www.frog-lights.com
EMAIL: frog_lights@yahoo.com
Old 12-01-2007, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
I'm going to look into pricing on these FX fixtures. The MR-11 uplight is a new one to me. 8,000 hrs. for the Xenolux sounds promising. And 4" diam. sounds good. With the glare shield of course.

http://www.fxl.com/products/document...4318660144.pdf

The Unique Nova also looks interesting. Not sure how they can squeeze an MR-16 into that diameter housing though...

http://www.uniquelighting.com/Spec%20Sheets/Nova.pdf

I also like the FX CG, and the ML-20 is a smaller version of it. Still 4.85 " across though. For on the walls above the steps.

http://www.fxl.com/products/document...0518656432.pdf

And I might be able to get Nightscaping to customize a Seegarliter with a flat/ blunt end so it doesn't look quite so phallic. Fits OK in 1" conduit.

http://www.nightscaping.com/pdfs/seegar_gd7520cu.pdf
I got novas here. VERY compact and well built..Comes with assortment of lenses and 2 different face plates and a pvc sleeve...Im not crazy about the well light idea. I think it will look good but I would be concearned about gravel and that dust from it setteling on the lenses and such and the glare factor. Maybe im looking at this wrong. Either way im due home for a visit in Gilroy again... fly me out and I will be more than happy to help on this one
Old 12-01-2007, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveparrott View Post
Given the nature of the wall - very irregular and loose, I would avoid deck-type lights. Also tons of labor. Thinking also of consistency in design, I would look to light both stairs and paths in the same way. The obvious conclusion would be to use china-hat type path lights spaced about 10 ft. apart just behind the uphill side of the stone walls. Where possible you could have path lights on the opposing side as well. Of course, being sure to select path lights with no glare when viewed from below.

I also see a nice pergola at the top of the path - that may be a useful mount for a downlight for addtional illumination at the path head.
I wasnt thinking of labor but I did do 4 cast deck lights on a very similar wall here and it came out great. Really brought out the texture of the wall. Perhaps your looking for more intensity than a deck light would provide.

BTW... 4 deck lights... including drilling the wall (backed by cinderblock) and 1 foot of excavation on the back side to retrive and run the wires then drill anchors into the wall and attach fixtures took me about 1.5 hours. With this type of wall you would be able to find spots to snake the wire in without much issue I would think... I am thinking the well light idea would be just as much if not more labor plus disturbing the compacted base so close to the wall may pose an issue ???? not sure just a thought.

I think its wonderful how different designers will have so much of a varied technique.

Better yet... cap that wall off and run a dadoe with a rope-fiber type of lighting
Old 12-02-2007, 02:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes View Post
I got novas here. VERY compact and well built..Comes with assortment of lenses and 2 different face plates and a pvc sleeve...Im not crazy about the well light idea. I think it will look good but I would be concearned about gravel and that dust from it setteling on the lenses and such and the glare factor. Maybe im looking at this wrong. Either way im due home for a visit in Gilroy again... fly me out and I will be more than happy to help on this one
LOL. You have a good point about the dust. More of an issue in summer, but that's when the entertaining will likely happen more anyway. I'm also thinking there may be a solid concrete footing (haven't checked yet) and maybe even a drainline...both making well lights more impractical.

My conclusions:

1. Lighting from the top seems it might be the way to go after all, despite it being "conventional".

2. By doing that I can highlight some of the plant material that will probably be spilling over the edge of the wall too.

3. It will probably be a lot less labor in the long run too.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In grade lighting is subject to being covered by leaves more than dust/dirt. This is only a short lived problem in the fall season of the northern states. I think the wall would best be lit using Brass deck style lights, mounted with tap con screws(hidden), or nylon anchors with matching fasteners (visible). A small wire access hole behind each fixture can be dug with a post hole digger. We use a fiberglass fish rod with a wire pulling braid at the end to pull the wiring between the rocks and up through the hole. Installation goes very quickly. This tool is also very handy when installing deck lighting on an existing deck.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Anthony!! I gotta disagree with your mounting ideas.

I wouldnt fish the wire straight in... I would enlarge the hole thru an existing crack and install a small piece of flex conduit to protect the wire should the wall settle (hello ever feel an earthquake out that way ? How about loma prieta??) then slip my wire thru that. A hammer drill with a 3/4 inch bit would slide right thru there. Then leave about a foot of the lead in wire behind the wall for service in the future and find a place to mount your light. It doesnt have to be completly flat... you can shim it up with some stainless strips if you need a few degrees of adjustment. I would consider lighting the plants as needed but I would try to keep the fixtures concealed / blended in during the day and keep disturbance of the wall. I really feel an aged cast deck light or if you patina one it will work well here. Best bet is to grab a few fixtures and go demo it. Make sure you and the client are on the same page here.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would approach this with a completely different solution, as I find paver lights and deck lights to be so very limited in their output and effect. With such great landscaping and views, beautifully functional walls and a pathway that needs lighting, I would go with area lights above the walls to light the landscaping and spill over and light the path as well. In areas like steps or turns I would add additional lighting for safety, like small deck lights that will making navigating easy. Looks like the cart path needs a guardrail or at least a definitive well lit edge.

Kirk
Old 12-03-2007, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

well... greg certainly has all his options and opinions lol. Only concern I would have with pathlights is how would it look from below since this is a good size grade change.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you go with a pathlight you could use our Solaris or Canterbury. They have fully adjustable shrouds so you can really dial it in to avoid as much glare as possible. we have done this on a few jobs. I will try to find some pics.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm no expert like you guys but I agree with Dreams To Designs. You should put tall area lights in. They would cast a larger light area and give you something to mount to if you need additional spot type lighting.