Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-03-2007, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry, but homeowners do care about getting a quality system. They should care about things like voltage drop and halogen cycle. With so many posers out there they have no idea what they will be getting in terms of quality they should make an informed choice about the money they are about to spend. Unless they are armed with some basic information to ask contractors about how they operate, a large portion of homeowners will always go with the lowest price when they think there is no difference in quality between your installation methods and that of some landscaper just throwing in some lights. To them lights are lights. I will have to disagree with some of you. A large part of our problem in this industry is that homeowners are uneducated on "real" lighting and dont know what they should be looking for. That is why we see so many terrible installations by less than qualified people and so many box store solar light kits.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 12-03-2007, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Tim, of course our clients care that they are getting a quality system... and yes they probably should care about the technical workings of the lighting system, but as I mentioned before, I have found that most of my clients have no interest in the technical workings... It tends to bore them.

You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-03-2007, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly Prof. Lighting View Post
Sorry, but homeowners do care about getting a quality system. They should care about things like voltage drop and halogen cycle. With so many posers out there they have no idea what they will be getting in terms of quality they should make an informed choice about the money they are about to spend. Unless they are armed with some basic information to ask contractors about how they operate, a large portion of homeowners will always go with the lowest price when they think there is no difference in quality between your installation methods and that of some landscaper just throwing in some lights. To them lights are lights. I will have to disagree with some of you. A large part of our problem in this industry is that homeowners are uneducated on "real" lighting and dont know what they should be looking for. That is why we see so many terrible installations by less than qualified people and so many box store solar light kits.
I agree with you Tim. Well said. An educated client is a Great client! The only problem is it's expensive to educate them. What is the AOLP doing to educate property owners?
Old 12-04-2007, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

What would it cost the AOLP to educate 20 million people about landscape lighting? I think the AOLP should stick to educating it's members first. We'll worry about educating the public later, when their a little more interested.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
Director, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 12-04-2007, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We belong to our state nurseryman's association as I am sure many others do as well for all areas of horticulture. Ours puts on an annual conferance, seminar, expo also. For a small fee we can purchase seperate brochures by the box on trees, shrubs, perennials, etc... These are geared to our specific zones as well.
Why not do the same with different aspects of lighting that anyone within the AOLP could purchase for a small fee. Different color brochures on fixture materials, safe systems, proper wiring methods, maintenance, service, etc.... Nice big AOLP logo on front and back of each. AOLP could get advance orders to begin with so they would not have to pay for all but order extra for them to keep on hand. I am not a member yet but those of you who are.....what do you think?
Old 12-04-2007, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klkanders View Post
We belong to our state nurseryman's association as I am sure many others do as well for all areas of horticulture. Ours puts on an annual conferance, seminar, expo also. For a small fee we can purchase seperate brochures by the box on trees, shrubs, perennials, etc... These are geared to our specific zones as well.
Why not do the same with different aspects of lighting that anyone within the AOLP could purchase for a small fee. Different color brochures on fixture materials, safe systems, proper wiring methods, maintenance, service, etc.... Nice big AOLP logo on front and back of each. AOLP could get advance orders to begin with so they would not have to pay for all but order extra for them to keep on hand. I am not a member yet but those of you who are.....what do you think?

I think this is a very good idea... and a good start at public promotion. Here in Ontario, I and a number of other Lighting Contractors formed a "Lighting Commodity Group" within Landscape Ontario. (I am vice chair) Through this group we have several commitees, one of which is working on PR and public awareness. I would expect to see similar types of condensed info sheets being produced here for public education and promotion purposes in the not too distant future.

Have a great day.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 12-04-2007, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

To be honest? I think it's all about supply, demand, and greed.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscapespaul View Post
What would it cost the AOLP to educate 20 million people about landscape lighting? I think the AOLP should stick to educating it's members first. We'll worry about educating the public later, when their a little more interested.
This message displays a very poor attitude. You should be calculating the cost of not educating them which is high to everyone, aolp included.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Chris! I always value your opinion...I am tired......whatcha talkin bout Willis?
Please explain more.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Hey Chris! I always value your opinion...I am tired......whatcha talkin bout Willis?
Please explain more.
email me via my website, and I'll be glad to give you all the impressions that I have. I can't post them here because they will be deleted.