Register free!

Old 12-02-2007, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Too Late for winterizer????

Howdy,
I dont do a whole lot of my lawns for fert, just about 15 or so.> I got my license this spring and have done a pretty good job so far....Except my timing of applications....Just got done with leaves friday then sleet and rain and ice storm saturday...So I want to put down my winterizers tomorrow while its still not snowing all the time...Its going to be 30 tomorrow but what do you guys think?? Should I wait for a 40 degree day?? I live in the north west side of illinois...There is about 3 inches of frost in the ground also...Please help as I dont know what to do guys.....Thanks in advance...
04 "350" Scab Sbox 4x4 6.0leaker, Auto,Autometer Ultra Lights,Leveling Kit,FC-II Radial 305's on Chrome Wheels,4" Turbo Back Straight Pipe,Clear Cab Lights,12" Audiobahn Sub,Silverstars,Autometer Ultralights,SCT with DP TUNER TUNES!!!!!!!!!!!Western 8.6 Unimount w/Ultramount Truckside Brackets,Pro Wings make it 10.6'!!!!!!

1999 Ford F250 4x4 Reg Cab,Stroke,Auto,04 Headlights,Lariat wheels,4" Turbo back,Volant,Autometer Pyro,Boost,Trans on A-Pillar,F-16 Dp Tuner!!!!!!All for a work truck
Old 12-03-2007, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboyblake View Post
Howdy,
I dont do a whole lot of my lawns for fert, just about 15 or so.> I got my license this spring and have done a pretty good job so far....Except my timing of applications....Just got done with leaves friday then sleet and rain and ice storm saturday...So I want to put down my winterizers tomorrow while its still not snowing all the time...Its going to be 30 tomorrow but what do you guys think?? Should I wait for a 40 degree day?? I live in the north west side of illinois...There is about 3 inches of frost in the ground also...Please help as I dont know what to do guys.....Thanks in advance...
I suggest doing what your conscience tells you to do, generally.
If you can't rely on that, then you'll certainly learn what you can and can't do eventually from your customers!

(...I'm going to give you a break here, though, this time!)
Wait until the snow's melted.
And if you can't get it done before the Holidays...Forget It!
Old 12-03-2007, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Never put fertilizer on frozen ground and in my opinion it is too late for winterizer. When I speak of winterizer I am talking about a no slow release water soluble fertilizer that is usually put down around the last time the lawn is cut. Also, don't make the mistake of thinking you can make up for it in early spring. No nitrogen until mid May at the earliest.

Mike I
Mike's Total Lawn Care
Old 12-03-2007, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The fertilizer will help the lawn if the ground is frozen.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My personal opinion is to not apply fertilizer to frozen soil. It's not good PR for the industry as a whole, and not great agronomics, either. It may represent lost revenue, but that's the breaks. I lost out on a few apps. and an aeration as well due to the weather, but that's where we work, in the weather. You have to adjust to the year and not look at the date. Maybe if the frost comes out of the ground in the next week or so.
Member Mich. Turfgrass Foundation (MTF)