Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-03-2007, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

How important is a web site for LCOs?

Do you find you gain or retain clients by having a web site? Any customer feedback or compliments from them? Do you include the web link in your flyers, door hangers, business cards, or post cards? Do you have your *.com listed on your truck or trailers?

In my area there seems to be very few LOC who have web sites. If my memory serves correctly I don't remember seeing many web site listed in the popular Nickel Paper in my area either.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

bump

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gain customers from your website? Yes about 5 the first month I had it up but I payed google adwords, I stopped advertisng it because I did not want any new accounts.

website is on my business cards along with email address

website will be listed on my truck when I get a box truck next season

For what a website cost its worth having even if its just to have the email address whatever@yourcomany.com instead of yahoo or something
Old 12-05-2007, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i have a website... and I got emails from it, just never in my service area and they really never lead to any work. id say maybe 2 customer came from the website. Alot of calls I get are from the cards I leave everywhere especially the Senior Center in town.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Member

A website for an LCO is a usually (I find) the final qualifier. Potential customers that are lead to the website can make a final decision if they want to use your services. You can have a testimonial page, a gallery of they work you have done, online payment, etc. So you may not attract new customers from the website alone, however, it acts as a great marketing tool.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the cheapest website you can get from Yahoo. It included the cheesy website builder and the email address. ~$10 / month. It has paid for itself in new business, adds some respectability and it's kind of fun.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooley99 View Post
I have the cheapest website you can get from Yahoo. It included the cheesy website builder and the email address. ~$10 / month. It has paid for itself in new business, adds some respectability and it's kind of fun.
Hey Tom.
I like your site. Looks good, simple and to the point. I am about to PM you about a job.

Lawn care in Pensacola, Florida.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I know a lot of these lawn care marketing guys who have packages to sell, like marketing plans and sample contracts, really support the idea of having a website. They make it sound like a necessity. I don't see many guys in my area with websites, or at least I haven't seen their URL on their trucks, but I live in a rural area where most business is probably word-of-mouth referrals or they got a business card off a bulletin board in the gas station. There are a lot of rich neighborhoods on the other side of the county, and I bet most of those guys have websites since there is more competition. Having a website could be the deciding factor for some customers, simply because they have a little bit more information and a picture to look at. I don't have a website yet because I'm still really small and working in the rural area or small neighborhoods where everybody knows everybody and will talk about me. I'd like to get a site in the future though.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomberLawn View Post
I know a lot of these lawn care marketing guys who have packages to sell, like marketing plans and sample contracts, really support the idea of having a website. They make it sound like a necessity. I don't see many guys in my area with websites, or at least I haven't seen their URL on their trucks, but I live in a rural area where most business is probably word-of-mouth referrals or they got a business card off a bulletin board in the gas station. There are a lot of rich neighborhoods on the other side of the county, and I bet most of those guys have websites since there is more competition. Having a website could be the deciding factor for some customers, simply because they have a little bit more information and a picture to look at. I don't have a website yet because I'm still really small and working in the rural area or small neighborhoods where everybody knows everybody and will talk about me. I'd like to get a site in the future though.

Yea For the most part it's a waste of money...

I have a friend who sells plants along with his lawn service and for that it does well,

Lets face it, If ya see a truck going down the road..... OK... Plumbing.

And it says on the side of it.... WWW.joesplumbing.... Do you think of

HAY lets copy that down and check it out when we get home, he must be good I mean he has a web site....
Old 12-06-2007, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think websites are great. I posted on craigslist.com and probably got about 10-20 quote requests a month. $7.95 for the domain, $20 for 2 years of hosting (ebay, been using the same guy for years). So for $18 a year and about 15 minutes a week (posting on craigslist), I've made tons of money. You do get a lot of crappy requests and a lot of spam (if you have a request form on your website), but it is well worth the time and money.