Register free!

Old 12-03-2007, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Supply Yard Space

I have a quick question in regards to the space needed to have a small supply yard providing 3/4 types of mulch, loam, firewood, and stone. What do you think is the minimum lot size needed? I am looking to buy a house in a semi-rural area (not a neighborhood but close to major roads) that has almost two acres. about 1.5 acres could be used as a supply yard area. Could this work?

Also do you think there would be zoning issues. It is zoned residential but I am planning on doing a very small business with mostly delivery and some (may-be) residential pick-up.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2008, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

You are asking for trouble if you do even light commercial in a residential area. Your neighbors could be cool as cucumbers but as soon as there are dump trucks rolling down the street at all hours of the day their tune changes. Especially if you are making money at their expense. Not to mention the township they need a piece of everything. Just an example: I purchased a plot of groung zoned light commercial and opened a mulch/landscape yard. Everything was fine and dandy I would only let tractor trailers deliver between 9am and 3pm figuring I would bother the least amount of people. We were off a semi major intersection. Long story short they found every reason to bust our balls. The sicked the police on our trucks every time we pulled out of the yard it felt like we were getting harrassed 1 way or another. After 2 years I got tired of it and moved to my new location.

Because of my troubles there I have been trying to sell the place for 4 years but noone wants to bother with the township. So I use it to store all of my old equipment and that really makes the hair on their ass stand up!!! (The Township)